Author Topic: John Blake  (Read 1673 times)

Offline 18Blake10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Blake
« on: Wednesday 09 March 16 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hoping to find someone that has an interest in the Blake family from Glendora Cork Ireland.
After years of searching I have found John Blake (my 2x's great Grandfather) in the National Archives
in the record set Britain, merchant seaman. John was born March 9, 1808, Glendora Cork. His first post as a boatman was at Skibbereen in 1837. Would like to be able find his parents, siblings etc.
Thank you for your interest :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Blake
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »
only 2  on 1911 census  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01h89/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi 18Blake10
I am also researching Blake family.
Is the area you speak of called Glandore??  I live about 35 miles away from here if it is.  The Blakes I am searching for are from Adrigole Cork, also John Blake b c1805 but he was married around 1827, I do wonder if they are related though? Maybe cousins?  I can't find a birth for John Blake in Adrigole so wonder if he was born elsewhere in Cork or surrounding counties.
Regards
Catherine
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline 18Blake10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Catherine:
I am having a time narrowing down a search in Ireland as so many records were destroyed for the time of my 2x's G Grandfather's birth. I understand that he is from Glandore (sorry, think I may have used miss spelled it originally) I found a register ticket on Find my Past, #135028 for John Blake, born Glendora March 9, 1808. This ticket was issued in Maldon Essex June 3, 1845.
John Blake married Mary Elizabeth Watson Dec 25th, 1833 in Margate Kent, and their daughter Mary Grant Blake was born at Bradwell Essex in 1841. I have his coastguard career, but have been unable to locate his parents, siblings etc.
If you live close to that area perhaps you have come across something that would be helpful.
Thank you so much for your interest.
Linda

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 March 16 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda I'll certainly take a look for you tomorrow and see what I can find.  Have you checked the parish registers?  I have the same problem, there are certain years missing from the parish records of all bmd.
I'll get back to you, it's celebration day today being St Patrick's! Off to see the parades later.
Regards
Catherine
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 March 16 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Linda,
Did your John Blake die in UK or in Ireland.  You say john's first post as a boatman was in 1837 from Skibbereen but that he married in 1833 in Margate Kent.  If 1837 was his first time out of Ireland then he couldn't possibly have married in Kent in 1833.  He had his child in Essex 1841 and the ticket issued 1845 in Essex but he married in Kent.  What was this ticket you found?
Just a thought.
Catherine

Offline 18Blake10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 March 16 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Catherine
I realize I sounded a bit confused with my last post. I have located a list of his coastguard posts since we communicated yesterday. John Blake was married in Margate Kent in 1833 I have their certificate and Skibbereen appears to not have been his first post. He died in Worthing Sussex in 1862, just 2 years after he was discharged on pension. Here is the first part of the list of postings.
14 Sept 1831 Westbrook, 3 Jan 1834 Winterton, 3 Feb 1834 Happisburgh (promoted Commissioned Boatman) 11 Aug 1834 Maudsley, 27 July 1837 Bradwell. 21 June 1844 Leigh.
I hope that makes things a bit clearer for you.
Thank you for your ideas.
Linda