Author Topic: Ruabon Baptisms 1849 onwards  (Read 698 times)

Offline suzanna

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Ruabon Baptisms 1849 onwards
« on: Wednesday 09 March 16 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find baptism records for Louisa Lemon born Ruabon 1849, Etty Jane Lemon born 1852, Hannah Rebekah Lemon born 1855 and Samson Lemon born 1862 all from Ruabon.  I have one baptism for Margaret Susan Lemon born 1860.  I obtained this from the Parish Baptism Records at Ruabon Library a few years ago when I was down visiting.  I did not find a baptism for any of the others, whether this is because the baptisms for 1849 to 1859 had  not yet then been recorded, or because their father Lionel had been a practising Jew before marriage to Mary Roberts (widow of John died 1848) (nee Lloyd).  They were married at Brymbo although Mary resided in Ruabon, possibly because of the Jewish connection and although I know from other sources it became a happy marriage and she at death was his much loved wife, at the time of marriage it seems to have been more of a marriage of convenience for various reasons.  Hence I wonder if the older children were not baptised although Lionel would not have been regarded as Jewish once he married out of the faith, simply because at heart he had been an observant Jew (I know this from research). It may have been that Margaret Susan was a token agreed baptism of all their children, but it might simply be that the older children were baptised but the baptisms when I visited Ruabon (many years ago now) were not then recorded.  I have found details of Margaret Susan's baptism since in other records, but none for the others. Does anyone have access to 1849 to 1859 Ruabon Baptism please. Thanks Suzanna

Offline MikeDavies38

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ruabon Baptisms 1849 onwards
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 16 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Had a look online and the only baptism is for Margaret Susan, 1860.  Possibly the Clwyd Family History Society might have the records and the info I have is that the baptism records span 1828 to 1906.  http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/index.htm.
Mike
Davies, Bywater, Murray, Gaunt, Benton, Jones, Richardson