Author Topic: Need some help solving a family mystery about my great-grandfather Hugo Beverste  (Read 7826 times)

Offline jfreeling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help solving a family mystery..
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Many deportation lists are online on the German website www.statistik-des-holocaust.de

It helps if you can read German.

To determine the exact relationships, you need to obtain the birth/marriage/death records of the Beversteins of Bevern.

Birth registers (1874-1900), marriage registers (1874-1930) and death registers (1874-1980) are held in the Kreisarchiv Holzminden. The address is:

Landkreis Holzminden
- Kreisarchiv -
Bürgermeister.-Schrader-Str. 24
37603 Holzminden
Germany

You can also email the archivist hermann.ahrens [at] landkreis-holzminden.de

I'll see if I can locate the registers of the Jewish community of Bevern/Holzminden.

Can't speak German unfortunately. Would probably make things much easier. I try and use Google Translate for a lot of stuff, but the translations are not always that good.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 14:14 GMT (UK) »
That's true, the translations can be patchy. If you get into difficulties, just post the German text here. I, or many others, will be able to give you hand.

The Wolfenbüttel branch of the State Archives of Lower Saxony (niedersaechsisches Landesarchiv Wolfenbüttel) hold many records relating to the Jewish communities in the Holzminden district.

You can email the archives at Wolfenbuettel[at]nla.niedersachsen.de

In 1831, the combined Jewish community of Bevern, Altendorf, Boffzen and Derenthal comprised 13 families with a total of 50 people.

Offline jfreeling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 14:30 GMT (UK) »
That's true, the translations can be patchy. If you get into difficulties, just post the German text here. I, or many others, will be able to give you hand.

The Wolfenbüttel branch of the State Archives of Lower Saxony (niedersaechsisches Landesarchiv Wolfenbüttel) hold many records relating to the Jewish communities in the Holzminden district.

You can email the archives at Wolfenbuettel[at]nla.niedersachsen.de

In 1831, the combined Jewish community of Bevern, Altendorf, Boffzen and Derenthal comprised 13 families with a total of 50 people.

Yeah. Some of the websites I had found stuff on, for example the two in my first post. It took me over a month to get a page and a half translated from people I know. And their translation was much better than Google's. I have many pages I would like translated, but I am not going to bug people to get them translated lol. Not necessarily related to my search about Hugo and what not, but just curious as to what they say.

I will send emails to the two you mentioned and maybe will get a reply!

Thanks Justin

Offline jfreeling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 03:58 GMT (UK) »
I've been following this with interest, interested enough to do some googling, reading and online translation of documents found out there in cyber world.  There is something about the timeline(s) of this that doesn't seem to quite pan out. Can't put my finger on it without doing a timeline.
Walter is pretty clear and specific about where his parents lived about the time of their deportation to the Warsaw ghetto.
1. The two documents Walter received via the Red Cross - is there a date (month) on these documents?
Your Hugo's first wife, Selma appears to die in 1918. Having given birth to Jakob and subsequently a daughter in 1914 - correct?
2. Have you info/date of second marriage to Paula?
There were two sons from this marriage - Lou and Walter, correct? Walter born in 1923?
All four of these children survived WW2, albeit in different places (amazingly wonderful)

I am confused as to when this Siegmund immigrated to Argentina - can you confirm?
Siegmund had sons, including a Hugo, Walter and Robert - all of whom ended up in Argentina.the son Hugo appears to have immigrated there around 1946 - is this correct?

A Hugo submitted paperwork to authorities to document his father and grandfather. What date is this document? Do you have this? If so can you scan and post?

Am just trying to work out dates, movements, places etc to put my finger on what it is that does not fit or work. It "feels" like two Hugos .... Likely related ....but my "feel" is just that, a full timeline would help sort it out.
Cocksie

Hey!

I was just re-reading your post. You said Selma died in 1918. Where did you find this? I had not found this in my research.

Also, you said that Siegmund had sons - Hugo, Walter, Robert. Where did you find this? I know that the Siegmund in Argentina had three sons - Walter, Hugo and Hermann. I know that a Robert exists, but I don't know where he fits in. Did you find something showing something different or something that showed Robert as being the son of Siegmund?

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 08:30 GMT (UK) »
One of the three men listed in Siegmund Beverstein's death notice of 1947 was a nephew!

The notice reads, '... our dear father, father-in-law, grandfather and uncle'.

I have also stumbled across a New York branch of the Beversteins!

Hermann Beverstein (oh, yes, another one) was born in New York on 17 Aug 1891 to Adolf Beverstein and Rosetta Frank (b. 1858 Berkach) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FDTR-YPY

Adolf was born in Bevern (mistranscribed as Bivern) to Isaac Beverstein and Recha Frank https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24MV-DVF

Hermann and his wife, Adele, returned to Germany in the 1920s and moved to Frankfurt am Main in 1933. He was deported to Theresienstadt, but survived, and died in Frankfurt in 1967. His wife was murdered in Sobibor.

I would surmise that Isaac Beverstein was Leser's brother or cousin.

I shall keep digging.

Justin

Offline jfreeling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 17 March 16 12:54 GMT (UK) »
One of the three men listed in Siegmund Beverstein's death notice of 1947 was a nephew!

The notice reads, '... our dear father, father-in-law, grandfather and uncle'.

I have also stumbled across a New York branch of the Beversteins!

Hermann Beverstein (oh, yes, another one) was born in New York on 17 Aug 1891 to Adolf Beverstein and Rosetta Frank (b. 1858 Berkach) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FDTR-YPY

Adolf was born in Bevern (mistranscribed as Bivern) to Isaac Beverstein and Recha Frank https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24MV-DVF

Hermann and his wife, Adele, returned to Germany in the 1920s and moved to Frankfurt am Main in 1933. He was deported to Theresienstadt, but survived, and died in Frankfurt in 1967. His wife was murdered in Sobibor.

I would surmise that Isaac Beverstein was Leser's brother or cousin.

I shall keep digging.

Justin

Hi Justin (or anyone else who can read German)

Just received this!

Can you make any sense of it?

Thanks!!

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 17 March 16 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It's Paula's birth certificate.

Born on 23 Jul 1890 at 3am to Louisa born Lehrberger, wife of Lazarus Schloss

It also states on the left that she married (Hugo presumably) in Schweinfurt on 23 Dec 1919.

Below that it states that she was declared to have died by 31 Dec 1945 on the basis of a communications received in 1979.

Below that is that confirmation dated 7 Sep 1938 that she taken the additional name Sara. This was reversed on 20 Dec 1945.

Where did this come from?

Justin

Offline jfreeling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 17 March 16 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It's Paula's birth certificate.

Born on 23 Jul 1890 at 3am to Louisa born Lehrberger, wife of Lazarus Schloss

It also states on the left that she married (Hugo presumably) in Schweinfurt on 23 Dec 1919.

Below that it states that she was declared to have died by 31 Dec 1945 on the basis of a communications received in 1979.

Below that is that confirmation dated 7 Sep 1938 that she taken the additional name Sara. This was reversed on 20 Dec 1945.

Where did this come from?

Justin

Thank you!

It came from the contact info Rudolf H B shared, 8th post of this thread.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=743910.msg5908070#msg5908070

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 17 March 16 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

two more ancestors ( :) ) Louisa Lehrberger (or Lehberger) and Lazarus Schloß;

- Lazarus had been Viehhändler - in the livestock business,
- Paula was born at home,

but I have difficulties to identify the street.

It is almost sure that Paula died in Warsaw or Poland, - the date of death is without certificate.

Rudolf

NB: That's the advantage of uncertified copies, it is fast, free and you will get in most of the cases better information than in paid transcripts ...
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies