Author Topic: Can you colour a faded photo of the Thornton Family?  (Read 3327 times)

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can you colour a faded photo of the Thornton Family?
« on: Sunday 13 March 16 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully it's not too faded to do. His uniform is a red coat, white belt, cuffs and collar & piping, gold buttons and flag badge and collar markings (that are so faded as to be near invisible tbf) and black trousers, similar to the pic below. His eyes were hazel and brown hair.

I don't what her colour her dress might be, anyone who knows the fashions of the time care to guess? Maybe something muted like navy and pale blue or black and ivory, but I've no idea.

(btw can't name them as not definitely sure who they are)

Thanks.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Can you colour a faded photo of the Thornton Family?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 March 16 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I can't do colouring . . .  but I have made it a little brighter for you and removed the flash glare.   (ooops - but not the fingerprints.  :-\)  Not easy to work on as very low dpi.

If anyone wants to use this to colour, feel welcome.  I know most people like to do their own work  though.

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. How did you get rid of that flash glare, like this? http://www.essential-photoshop-elements.com/remove-flash-glare-with-photoshop-elements.html

I have photoshop elements 9, but I've never used it as it looks too complicated (can't even find background layers for example). Can you colorise with that as well? Again, I imagine it would take a long time to learn/do.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 01:30 GMT (UK) »
I do use photoshop elements, but I just used the usual tool for correcting scratches etc.  I believe you can colour with Photoshop Elements but I just don't!!   I didn't use that method.

I only try to repair photos for fun - and because I prefer them in their original shades myself, I haven't bothered to learn how to colour. I like them looking old.

Selfish isn't it.  But it is only for fun!   ;D  Others enjoy colouring so I'll leave it to them!

Wiggy   ;)
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Had a crack at the colour for you. Not perfect by any means, but best i could do with the noise and grain left in the image.

Thanks
Martyn
Restorers : Please do not use my restorations without asking my permission first. Thanks.

Good quality size scans will mean much better restores >> hint hint :-)

Offline rdkmt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, I wished I'd checked back before I bothered with my effort. The jacket especially is very striking as I hoped it might be, and the buckle is brilliant, it looks like a real one.

Mine is below. OK, it's bad, but it is my first ever attempt and I had no idea what I was doing.  :o

Can I ask what programme you used and how long it took? It took me a few hours..... the magnetic lassoo was really annoying to use, you do a complicated outline and think you've closed the circle but it won't take and you have to do it again. I couldn't paint on the face either for some reason. The biggest difference is the buttons, which are a realistic colour on yours, but on mine look like were drawn on by a 6 year old with a yellow crayon.

A few questions  about photoshop, forgive my ignorance but are there lots of different versions?

Would my elements 9 version be able to do a picture like the one above for example?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/42066/how-to-colorize-black-and-white-vintage-photographs-in-photoshop/

When I tried control, shift, G it didn't work so I didn't get the group tab, I don't know if that makes a big difference. I also couldn't find a pen tool, I just found brushes & default brushes, and then I couldn't find soft round, maybe it depends what version you have? So I could only do the basic first version.

I think I'd have to read up on it a lot more to be able to make a decent pic.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Learning photo manipulation programs can take a long time.  The first thing is learning to work with layers. 

You are probably better trying to work at repairing scratches etc first by using the scratch remover and clone tools, and then working at replacing damaged areas.  It is always worth getting the picture in the best possible condition before starting to color it.

Once you master that and get the hang of it, you should move on to coloring.

With coloring, it is best to have the highest resolution scan, and then convert the picture to grayscale before converting back to color and starting to color it.

Coloring a picture can often take 3-4 hours, and with practise you will learn the colors to use for faces/skin, gold buttons etc.  To start with, it comes with trial and error.

There is no quick fix when learning photo manipulation.  It takes a lot of time and practise.  Why not try having a go on some of the pictures posted on the board.

There are some good tutorials on You Tube.

By the way - For a first attempt at coloring your picture, you have done really well and should be pleased with yourself.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline kmccormi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 07:20 GMT (UK) »
I just realized before posting this that I was working off Wiggy's work instead of the original  - thanks Wiggy! Added colour and touched up a few areas.

Cheers,

Kevin
McCormick, Finnegan, Callaghan, Kane

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 08:08 GMT (UK) »
That's OK Kevin   - I did say I didn't mind on this one - the scan is very low dpi, so it is tricky anyhow.    But I thought I'd got rid of more glare than you have - so  . . .  how did you put it back in?    ;D

RDKMT - I reckon you've done really well if that is your first effort at colouring.     :D
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)