Author Topic: Bethnal Green Huguenots - Jacob Ferry  (Read 3147 times)

Offline solveman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bethnal Green Huguenots - Jacob Ferry
« on: Sunday 13 March 16 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has any information on the Bethnal Green Ferry's. My great gandmother was Mary Ann Ferry, born 1881, 1 Paradise Row, Bethnal Green. I am a direct descendant of Jacob Ferry, who fled with other Huguenots from France back in the 1600s. I have gone back to Mary's grandad, Robert Ferry c.1833. I used to have a digital file, The Descendants of Jacob Ferry, but I lost this when my old PC crashed, although the line it followed wasn't my direct line.

I would love to link myself directly to Jacob.

Thank you,
Rich

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Bethnal Green Huguenots - Jacob Ferry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 March 16 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Can you please give some more information on Robert Ferry?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 March 16 22:37 GMT (UK) »
The only Mary Ann Ferry I can see born in 1881 with that spelling is Mary Ann born 22 Jan, bap. 20 Feb 1881, dau of Robert and Ann Ferry, of 7 Temple St. Bethnal Green.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 March 16 23:33 GMT (UK) »
There are definitely problems tracing Robert Ferry.  His marriage to Ann Jarvis lists his father as Robert Ferry, a weaver, but there is absolutely no sign of Robert junior on any earlier census in Bethnal Green, or for that matter the surrounding area, nor does there appear to be a birth registered for him.  There isn't any sign of a Robert Ferry, weaver, as far as I can see in the area either, not from an immediate search. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 March 16 00:06 GMT (UK) »
I had the same trouble Smudwhisk. I couldn't even find the family in 1881, only 1891. I was waiting for the OP to come back with what he/she has already.

Offline solveman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 March 16 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, may I say thank you to everyone that responded. I really do appreciate the time and trouble to which people have gone. As for more information on Robert Ferry Senior, I only have his name and DoB as c.1833. That's it. I have his son as Robert Ferry married to Annie Jarvis, as has already been mentioned. 1833 is before compulsory BMD registration in 1834. Unless he crops up in parish records etc., I don't see where I go from here. I was going to try and go from the other end, i.e. Jacob Ferry, although the Jacob Ferry link is just an educated guess. As I said in my previous post, he came up in a document that I once had and, as he settled in Bethnal Green and my Ferry's are Bethnal Green, it wasn't too much of a leap to make the assumption that he is probably my ancestor. Add to that the fact that Mary Ann always maintained that the family were Huguenot silk weavers and, well, this is where I am at.

The document I had descended down a different line and I couldn't, at the time, see where my Ferry's branched off. Sadly, I lost the document when my old PC died.

Thank you, again, for all your help.

Rich

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 March 16 19:29 GMT (UK) »
1833 is before compulsory BMD registration in 1834.

Rich

It is actually July 1837

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 March 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Where do you get his birth year of c.1833 from?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 March 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »
There are a lot of Ferry's in Bethnal Green but there is no guarantee that they all descend from Huguenots, although some definitely do as one line intermarries with sidelines on one of my Huguenot lines.  Additionally, from a quick look at the non-conformist registers on Ancestry, there is no sign of a Jacob Ferry appearing in the various French Church registers, although that doesn't mean that there wasn't one that emigrated in the 1600s, he may just not have joined one of the churches.  Now ancestry's indexing isn't that accurate but so far I can't see anything even via google about a Jacob Ferry who was a huguenot.  It definitely is not a good idea though to start with someone and try to work forward and connect your family, there is unfortunately a good chance you could make more of a mistake doing this than trying to work backwards.

The problem you have is the fact there appears to be absolutely no sign of your Robert Ferry prior to his marriage and there is no sign of a Robert Ferry born c1833 who was a weaver.  By the 1800s the vast majority of huguenot families had assimilated and were using the Church of England parish churches, many assimilated in the mid to late 1700s, if not earlier.  I have one huguenot ancestor who emigrated with her parents in the late 1600s when she was about 2 years old.  While her sister was baptised in the Threadneedle Street French Church, she herself never joined the church and married and was buried in a CofE parish church.  The only reason I've been able to confirm she was huguenot was her very rare surname.

There are, unfortunately, a few other possiblities about who was your Robert Ferry born c1859.  His father's name could undoubtably be wrongly entered on his marriage certificate.  This is something that isn't that uncommon, I have two instances within my own research.  Similarly, he may not have been born a Ferry but was born out of wedlock and his mother married one at a later date and he assumed his stepfather's name.  His father in those circumstances may have been named Robert but not a Ferry.  Its also possible that he wasn't illegitimate but took a stepfather's name for whatever reason.  You could try contacting Tower Hamlets Register Office to see if they have an entry for a Robert Ferry born around the correct time but who has been missed off the GRO index when it was compiled.  That wouldn't though solve the mystery as to where he was prior to his marriage.

Unfortunately, until you can conclusively find your Robert prior to his marriage, everything is hypothosis and while I appreciate that family claim they were of huguenot descent, a certain amount of a "pinch of salt" does need to be considered with family stories.  My great aunt always claimed that her father's direct family ancestors were scottish, when in fact the family came from East Anglia.  The story apparently may have come about because another aunt saw a tartan in Scotland that supposedly was for the family name and it was assumed that's where there family came from.  I have numerous other examples where there is a shred of truth but the general story is incorrect.  You may well have huguenot ancestry somewhere but perhaps not in the Ferry surname and the details may have got corrupted over time.  Its something that isn't that uncommon unfortunately.

Unfortunately all you can really do is dig around looking at the Ferry line and hope that with each new data set that appears, something may help to confirm who Robert was.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day