Author Topic: TROVE and a petition re its funding.  (Read 3196 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TROVE and a petition re its funding.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 09:08 GMT (UK) »
No you have to push 6 buttons.

My point was you should let people know on this forum if a link has any further activity added to it.

From RC Terms and Conditions

14. Use the site or content for any commercial use, or make posts on the Forum that enlists the help of others for commercial use with or without their knowledge of its intended use without approval from us.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh gees David, how pedantic!! There is no commercial use it's just a petition to save funding for the NLA, get a grip man.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I was happy to sign the petition but I had NO intention on joining or signing on to receive emails from Change.

By clicking the link I had no choice but to receive emails- just because it is deemed by you a ''good site'' doesn't make its hacking any less. If I posted a link that took you to a site where you automatically received Liberal or Labor emails ;)  would have you responding in kind.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning david ;D

Here's the link again.
https://www.change.org/p/malcolm-turnbull-mp-stop-cuts-to-national-library-of-australia-save-trove

But be warned by David, :-* you may have to press your left mouse button six times ??? To stop receiving emails re possibly worthy petitions. ::)

Neil. ;)
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I did not start this thread with any intention to cause anyone to ever consider it, or any of the posts added to it would ever breach/infringe any of the T&C for RChatters.     I have signed petitions via Change.org and I have not received unsolicited emails.   

If I may mention ........

:) I have just re-read their Privacy Statement. Here's the live link.  https://www.change.org/policies/privacy#3   

:) I have also read the following about their business model  https://www.change.org/about/our-business     

And as a former Exec. Cttee Mbr for various family history groups, from as early as the late 1960s ..... (so back when volunteering meant you even took along your own cup, and a plate of food for supper, and took it in turns to bring the milk, the tea, the sugar ....)  For decades and decades there have been (and still are) similar incorporated entities within corporations laws in each of the eight jurisdictions here in Australia.  They are usually referred to as the 'not for profits' and/or the 'incorporated associations' and there are many Australian Public Companies that in fact are not set up as commercial businesses and were established in the 1920s, and are still the governing bodies for many of the district/regional/ not for profits.

Anyway ..... To me, we should be working towards supporting the National Library of Australia, and in particular we should be working towards urging the on-going public funding of Trove.   Its benefits extend far beyond any one person's family history, or beyond any sporting body's weekly sports results, or beyond any PhD student's Thesis.   It's newspaper publications date from 1803, and that is LESS THAN ONE GENERATION OF BRITISH SETTLEMENT, so it is a unique resource available to the world, the written history of a sovereign nation.   It took until 1986 for Australia to formally receive its complete legal separation from Britain.  And all of the steps along the way are documented in the daily newspapers that are (or are about to be) digitised at Trove.   

You don't need to be an Australian to be interested in following and researching the written history from a penal settlement to nationhood, from Pre-Industrial Revolution to International Space Station,  .....   ::) Trove's digitising the history of this planet's smallest continent from 1803  :)

Surely our current Federal Parliament can find some Efficiency Dividends from among its own ranks of elected officials to fund Trove.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Well said JM.  :)

It is easy to forget that we often refer researchers from other parts of the world to Trove too.

I suppose it is the nature of the internet but in some ways it is a shame that we can't just sign a petition without having to read t&cs/privacy policies and possibly receive emails pressuring us to  sign other petitions, worthy though they all are. There should be an option to opt in to receive emails about other petitions rather than having to opting out. It is the same with anything we sign up for on the internet these days. I don't like it, but I suppose we will just have to get used to it. :-\

I am hoping for a good outcome but I fear this funding will not be a priority for our politicians or Joe Public. :-\ I suspect funding will gradually tail off and go largely unnoticed. If anyone hears anything positive or otherwise, please let us know.

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 01:33 GMT (UK) »
It is worth a try, but if the politicians have decided this is where they want to make cuts, then that is what they will do.
The Government (ie politicians) determines there will be cuts (eg through the Efficiency Dividend). It would be up to the NLA executive (Director-General) and, perhaps, its governing board (the Library Council) as to where those cuts come from.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 March 16 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes a direct approach can add to a petition and lend further weight.  The NLA has a "Feedback" form on their website so a private communication may help if enough people express their dismay.

http://www.nla.gov.au/feedback

Some good suggestions for other communications on the Gould genealogy site linked by JM on the post above.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk