Author Topic: Help please, which record is to be believed  (Read 2494 times)

Offline JennWales

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help please, which record is to be believed
« on: Monday 18 July 05 22:15 BST (UK) »
I've found a record of a marriage for the marriage of  David LITTLE and Margaret WEIR at Sanquhar on the Scotland's people site - for a marriage at Warnlockhead, Sanquhar on 27th November 1825 but according to the IGI parish records it took place on 16th December 1825 at Crawfordjohn.

I don't know the area very well, but looking at the map it doesn't appear that they are too far away from each other - possibly 8-10 miles.   It seems unlikely that two grooms with exactly the same name are likely to be getting married to two brides with exactly the same name,  in neighbouring villages within three weeks of each other.

Any ideas about whether there are two separate parish churches (one in Sanquhar and one in Crawfordjohn)   ?  Any thoughts on which entry to believe ?

Any ideas or thoughts would be gratefully received as I'm at a loss !
Jenny

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please, which record is to be believed
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 05 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

I suspect that what you are seeing here is the proclamation of marriage (similar to reading of the banns) in the groom's parish and in the bride's.  The actual marriage may not be recorded.  I would take it as the same couple - one came from Crawfordjohn and the other from Sanquhar.

Hope that helps.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JennWales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 05 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,
Many thanks for that - my thoughts were similar but I didn't know what to think. 
All the best
Jenny

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 08:41 BST (UK) »
In Dumfriesshire my (limited) experience of the records is that you often see births/marriages & deaths recorded in the OPR for people living in another parish as a note that they got married.

For example in Annan most of the children born to a chap in my tree (Francis Carruthers) are mentioned as being baptised in Bowness where Francis lived.

It's like some clerics (or family) liked to make mention of ex parishioners.

Obviously, getting a look at the original entries will let you know. 

All the best,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 10:51 BST (UK) »
If the couple were from different parishes then the banns were supposed to be proclaimed in both parishes, thus often leading to such "double" recording.

Always but always look at the full records of both entries, as there's always the chance of a little bit more info in one record compared with the other.

There are occasional instances of banns/marriage being recorded in three parishes, - deriving from a situation where the couple were recent incomers to the parish of residence and marriage, and the local minster required banns to be proclaimed as well in the two previous parishes of residence.

Normally the marriage took place in the parish of the bride.  The fact of the marriage then taking place might or might not be recorded in the groom's parish.  The omission of such an annotation shouldn't be taken as meaning that the marriage never took place, unless an OPR is in the format where every other entry has the date of the marriage  ;)

ibi

Offline JennWales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 11:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that - I think your explanations do make sense.  I really couldn't believe that there would be two David Littles marrying two Margaret Weir's within 3 weeks of each other and literally only a few miles apart.  In the middle of London - possibly but in a relatively rural area not probable.
Many thanks for all replies
Jenny