Author Topic: Brendan's Cottage, Wantage Road, Berkshire  (Read 3050 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brendan's Cottage, Wantage Road, Berkshire
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 March 16 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes Milton would make more sense than Harwell, the transcript says Mill, but the word disappears into the fold of the page.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brendan's Cottage, Wantage Road, Berkshire
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 31 March 16 20:59 BST (UK) »
Given that the horse was trained in Berkshire and the tenant of Brendan's Cottage was a groom, I suspect he gave his house which previously was likely to be no 11 Council House, the name of the horse which was famous locally for the preceding few years.

Thank you Lizzie L, I never thought of that, shame I cant seem to find any pictures.

Just wondering if Richard worked at RAF Milton in 1939, do you think he could have been a civvy does anyone know, or would he have had to be serving in the RAF.  Maybe he was just employed to get the base ready as this was the beginning of the war.

Sloe Gin, thats a great help that he was still in the area in 1942 thank you.

I have now learned that he never came home to the north east so really dont know where he ended up - there are a few marriages but I cant be sure that they are the same Richard, seems like I will just have to be satisfied with the information I have.  Thanks again to all that have contributed, much appreciated.