Author Topic: 1851 Census Andrew Cowie (Head) Dochfour, Inverness b 1793 Haddingtonshire  (Read 1353 times)

Offline aotearoanz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello

Apologies if this seems long. It is a bit of a geography lesson that actually ends in NZ.

The above Census has a visitor, Isabella Macdonald, born 22 April 1827, Staffordshire. Both Isabella's parents are dead by this Census, Harriet Macdonald d 13 Nov 1840 Broadheath, Stafford and Angus Hugh Macdonald d 2 May 1841, just prior to the 1841 Census. They were married 6 April 1824, Barthomley, Cheshire. Hugh's age at death was 44years. The addition of Angus on Hugh's death certificate was a surprise as he had always just been Hugh MacDonald. I have no idea if this is significant. This Isabella is my g grandmother and her NZ death certificate quotes her father as being Hugh Aeneas Macdonald.

The link I am trying to find is to May Cowie, wife of Andrew Cowie in the 1851 Census. Parish Record of her death indicates her full name is Marjorie with parents, Hugh Macdonald farmer and Isabella Macdonald nee Fraser. Her death,10 Dec 1883 aged 86 at 11 Charles St, Inverness. Born Urquhart.

Our Isabella visiting in 1851 seems to indicate there could be a relationship to the family. When I found May/Marjorie had parents of Hugh and Isabella that seemed to firm things up.

My request is can anybody find this Hugh and Isabella Macdonald and the birth of Marjorie with maybe a Hugh as a son as well. I have no birth for Hugh.

I have information on the Cowies if that would help.

Any help would be most welcome and appreciated.

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Andrew Cowie (Head) Dochfour, Inverness b 1793 Haddingtonshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 16 05:51 BST (UK) »
Gaelic  names for Hugh are  Uisdean [common]  Ewan, Ewen, Eoghann.

Maybe Hugh has one of these names on his birth certificate.

Offline aotearoanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 16 08:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks normamac I will investigate the alternative names you suggested.

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello

Apologies if this seems long. It is a bit of a geography lesson that actually ends in NZ.

The above Census has a visitor, Isabella Macdonald, born 22 April 1827, Staffordshire. Both Isabella's parents are dead by this Census, Harriet Macdonald d 13 Nov 1840 Broadheath, Stafford and Angus Hugh Macdonald d 2 May 1841, just prior to the 1841 Census. They were married 6 April 1824, Barthomley, Cheshire. Hugh's age at death was 44years. The addition of Angus on Hugh's death certificate was a surprise as he had always just been Hugh MacDonald. I have no idea if this is significant. This Isabella is my g grandmother and her NZ death certificate quotes her father as being Hugh Aeneas Macdonald.

The link I am trying to find is to May Cowie, wife of Andrew Cowie in the 1851 Census. Parish Record of her death indicates her full name is Marjorie with parents, Hugh Macdonald farmer and Isabella Macdonald nee Fraser. Her death,10 Dec 1883 aged 86 at 11 Charles St, Inverness. Born Urquhart.

Our Isabella visiting in 1851 seems to indicate there could be a relationship to the family. When I found May/Marjorie had parents of Hugh and Isabella that seemed to firm things up.

My request is can anybody find this Hugh and Isabella Macdonald and the birth of Marjorie with maybe a Hugh as a son as well. I have no birth for Hugh.

I have information on the Cowies if that would help.

Any help would be most welcome and appreciated.

Hello,

Wondering if you found the information that you were after? I came across the 1841 Census which included son Hugh.

Thanks, Kirst

Offline aotearoanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 23 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your reply. My Hugh McDonald died Nantwich, Cheshire a month before 1841 Census. That's the dilemma I have had for years - no idea where he was born.  He did have a son Hugh who did show up on the 1841 Census in Nantwich.  Is this the Hugh you found in 1841?

Many thanks for looking into this.

regards
Penny

Offline Kirst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 May 23 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your reply. My Hugh McDonald died Nantwich, Cheshire a month before 1841 Census. That's the dilemma I have had for years - no idea where he was born.  He did have a son Hugh who did show up on the 1841 Census in Nantwich.  Is this the Hugh you found in 1841?

Many thanks for looking into this.

regards
Penny

Hi Penny,

From memory it was in Inverness not Nantwich. This was a Hugh, son of Andrew aged 10. So sorry might not be of any help.

Regards, Kirst

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 May 23 09:22 BST (UK) »
Gaelic  names for Hugh are  Uisdean [common]  Ewan, Ewen, Eoghann.
Unfortunately the Gaelic names appear relatively seldom in the pre-1855 church records - it's almost always the English equivalent that is recorded.

For example, a quick search on SP reveals that there are no baptisms of Uisdean M*cdonald. The earliest record of an Uisdean M*cdonald is a birth in 1936.

There are some records of Ewan/Ewen/Euan etc M*cdonald in the pre-1855 church records.

See https://www.whatsinaname.net/male-names/Hugh.html for further spelling variants.

Maybe Hugh has one of these names on his birth certificate.
As he was born before the start of civil registration in 1855, there is no birth certificate to be found.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.