Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 476 times)

Offline coughlinja

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What's in a name?
« on: Friday 18 March 16 12:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a relative from Tipperary who is called Timothy, Thumetha and Thade. I have a family in Cork whose last name is Coughlan, but when they immigrate to America, the name is changed to Coughlin. Is there a correct way to include all this information on my family tree? Does John (Coughlan) Coughlin or Timothy, Thumetha or Thade Stapleton Work? Just looking for something a little more elegant, I guess.

Offline ftcorkmdb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 16 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Coughlan with an 'a' is certainly the standard spelling in Co. Cork.  It is unlikely that your Coughlins actually 'changed' the spelling of the name if they emigrated before, say, 1900.  Officials, or priests,  usually wrote down what they thought they heard, or what the thought they had previously seen, whether or not the individual could read or write.  The name 'Timothy' was no more than a conventional spelling for the Irish name Tadhg and the spelling was taken from the biblical Timotheus early on, though it is doubtful that anyone was actually called Timothy until quite late.  The parish priest would hear Tadg (or variants like 'Thady") and write down 'Timothy'.  Such a spelling eventually influenced the pronunciation of the name, and in the U.S. priests generally wrote 'Timothy' no matter what they heard.  It would probably be the most practical solution for you just to write Coughlan and Timothy.