Author Topic: Who are Edward Callaghan parents?  (Read 11369 times)

Offline Genevieve_Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who are Edward Callaghan parents?
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 21 February 19 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Helina
Edward Callaghan born Deptford, Greenwich in 1857 is the son of Dennis Callaghan & Julia Dwyer and is the same Edward as mentioned in the Old Bailey Trial - he was the brother of Mary Ann Callaghan who died by his hands.   Mary Ann married William in Jun 1871, Westminster and is a direct descendant on my side of things.  This Edward is the same as the one in Wandsworth Prison, before he was declared insane after murdering his sister, Mary and niece Annie.  Ref UK, Lunacy Patients Admission Registers, 1846-1912.  He died in Broadmoor Asylum, Crowthorne, Berkshire, England on 26 Jan 1917 and was buried on 30 Jan 1917. (Ref Berkshire Burial Index).  In relation to your earlier message regarding William Evenden born 1828, yest William married Elizabeth 'Eliza' Bates in 1846 in Cranbrook, Kent but she died in 1862.  They had 6 children.  He married Ellen Follings on 5 Jun 1865 at St James Bermondsey Southwark.  William died in 1893 (2 years previously it was stated he was paralysed) and Ellen died in May 1929, Poplar, London.  William & Ellen had three children. I have substantial information on this line, together with sources and as mentioned previously I am happy to share which will save you a lot of time.  Further Edward Patrick Evenden born 22 May 1893, married Bessie Burrows in 1919.  They had 8 children.  He died on 15 Dec 1957 in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.  After his mother died 1897, Edward was listed as Edward Evington, aged 8 years, born in Greenwich on the 1901 Census at St Mary's School for Boys in Eltham - listed as 'Attending School'.  Even though his name is spelt incorrectly, I am sure that this is him as he is the only one from Greenwich with the correct age as all orphanage records have been searched.
In the 1911 British Census, Edward is listed on an 'Institution' record as Edward, aged 17 and County "Overseas Military".
In the 1911 British Census, Edward is listed as a boy, aged 17 yrs  with the 8th Royal Irish Hussars, Campbell Barracks, Dilkusha, Lucknow, India.  His trade is a musician and he was in the same barracks as his brother William Patrick.
Edward & Bessie  lived in Winchcombe, & Cheltenham, both in the county of Gloucestershire.  His granddaughter, Jane told us that he was a Trumpeter in a UK orchestra.
If I can help further let me know.
Cheers
Gen
Viney,Hollow,Hill,Coullin,McFall,Richards,Campbell, Cocking,Richards,Leeds,Janson,Paulin,Dickinson, Jones,Pickin,Chamberlain,Jones,Illenden,Ruddock, Pullen,Pulling,MacKenzie,Campbell,Hamilton,Blundy, Brown

Offline Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 22 February 19 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Glen, you have reassured me.

helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Blore.Derbyshire,Bristol,Redditch.
Richards,Bristol
Milson, Bitton
Harrison, Derbyshire
Census information Crown Copyright  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline altna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 22 February 19 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Gen
Fascinating that you are a direct descendent. My connection is with Annie Callaghan, Edward and Mary's sister, she was my great grandmother. I have worked on this line for several years on and off but not managed to trace Dennis and Julia back to their Irish roots. Do you have anything on this? Also, any documentation or family info you have regarding the Edward and Mary case would be hugely appreciated! I am not doubting you are correct but would love to know more.
Thank you so much!
Heather