Author Topic: William Graham residing in Craggan??? 1862  (Read 8017 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Graham residing in Craggan??? 1862
« Reply #36 on: Friday 21 July 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
Is this Evanton Annie, parish of Kiltearn, Ross-shire? so possibly Culcairn?

Skoosh.

Offline Annies85hotmail.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking to confirm birth details in Assynt 1799
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again, I have been looking for the birth records of Grizzel/ Grizel/ Grisel Mcleod who I think was born in Assynt, Parish 44, reference 10 6 on  30/3/1799. Father Forquar 'McLeod, mother Rachel, but I cannot locate where that may be. Is it possible to get some help on this please ? ::)

I found another entry for a Grace Mcleod 12/6/1803 father DonaldMcleod, mother JeanStronach in parish 168/b reference 50 127 in Old Machar, but I don't know if that is a possibility. Are there clues?

Thank you,     Annie.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Help in locating church ( parish of Alness)
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 09:31 BST (UK) »
Grace McLeod or Graham, aged 76, died in Strathoykel in 1878. If you get her death certificate on Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.go.uk it should tell you the full names of both her parents including her mother's maiden name.

You have been given a transcription of her listing in the 1861 census, which says that she was born in Lochbroom, Ross and Cromarty. If this is correct she cannot be either of the ones you have found; there are lots of people whose births/baptisms were never recorded or, if they were, the record has not survived.

You don't say where in Assynt the daughter of Torquil* MacLeod and Rachel was born, so I can't look for the place.

*I don't know which transcription you are using, but the index at Scotland's People and the IGI at FamilySearch both have it as Forquil. Forquil is not a name I have ever come across, but Torquil, though quite rare overall, is relatively most prevalent among MacLeods, especially in Lewis. (There are 338 Torquils in the statutory birth records, of whom 98 (29%) are Macleods.)

St Machar is in Aberdeen, quite a distance from Assynt.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
Just found a previous thread with the same question

Threads merged.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
BTW I see that Thomas Graham, aged 63, died in the parish of Kincardine and Croick in 1855. If you have not already got this certificate, go for it. An 1855 certificate is a gold mine of information, because in 1855 details were collected that were not collected in any other year. These include parents' names, place of birth, and names and ages of any children, both living and deceased.

According to the index at SP Thomas Graham and Grizel MacLeod had
William, baptised 12 February 1827
Thomas, baptised 14 September 1829
Grizel, baptised 27 July 1831
Donald, baptised 25 May 1832
Robert, baptised 19 June 1835
Isabella, baptised 12 February 1837
Ann, baptised 13 June 1839
Catherine, baptised 12 August 1841
all in the parish of Kincardine and Croick.

However the 1851 census lists children not in the register of baptisms. Again using only the index on SP, the Graham household includes Thomas, 57; Grace, 50; Alexander, 28; Eliza, 26; William, 22; Thomas, 20; Robert, 14; Isabella, 12; Ann, 10; and Catherine, 8.

Looking for Alexander in 1841, I note with interest that in 1841 the household at Corriemore consisted of John Graham, 20, shepherd, and Alexander Graham, 17. Is this Thomas and Grizel's son? Could John be another son of Thomas and Grizel?

In 1841 the household at Corriemuillie includes all the children from Elizabeth to Ann, two possible servants and Elizabeth Graham, 80. I speculate that Elizabeth is Thomas' mother. You can look up the full transcription at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl. Note that Grizel is recorded as Grace Macleod. This is not in any way significant, because married women in Scotland do not lose their own maiden surname on marriage, and it was not unusual for them to be referred to by their own name rather than by their husband's surname.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 10:23 BST (UK) »
Macleod of Lewis, the Siol Thorcaill, (Seed of Torquill) also had branches in Raasay & Assynt, hence the incidence of the name.

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
On the '51 Census Thomas is aged 57, occpn. shepherd and Grace, age 50 - address is Craggan, Kincardie, Ross and Cromarty - with 8 children.
In which parish does the 1851 census say that Thomas Graham was born? The SP index doesn't say at all, of course, and the index on FamilySearch just says Sutherland.

Offline Annies85hotmail.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 28 July 17 02:12 BST (UK) »
HI again, thank you for your last notes. AGain so helpful. Yes, you were right, the names fit and the 1855 death register was most helpful. It listed Thomas and 12 children including John, a son born in October 1819...premarital fornication was the notation on OPR births. poor soul! Also, Ann was listed as a pauper- her death is listed just after Thomas'.
Again, yes, Elizabeth/ Eliza/ Elspet was Thomas' mother.
Interesting too, because the register showed Thomas had lived at Craggan and buried at Knockan( bit hard to read). I had placed Craggan near Edderton, but that doesn't match well. I'd love to visit these places when I visit, just to see where they'd lived or  died. Corriemore, Corriemiullie, both 1841 ( same place, maybe?), Craggan, Strathoykel etc.Merging topics was something I had not known about, so thank you.         Annie.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 28 July 17 08:19 BST (UK) »
Corriemor was a house (now a very good bothy, half maintained by the Mountain Bothies Association & the other half maintained by the RAF as a memorial)) on the Corriemulzie estate, Sutherland, (pronounced Corriemoilie).  Careful though, there's a different Corriemulzie estate in Aberdeenshire.
Here's a trip into Corriemor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9VQ4HPB4Ao

The guy's a bit of a drip!  ;D

Skoosh.