Author Topic: W. L. DUNKLEY descendants of ?  (Read 363 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
W. L. DUNKLEY descendants of ?
« on: Monday 21 March 16 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello from New Zealand.

An internet search shows that one [Professor] W. L. DUNKLEY started his professional career with the Dairy Science faculty of the Alberta University in 1934. By 1957 he held a position with the Dairy science faculty of the California University.

In 1956 he took a years sabbatical with New Zealand’s Massey Agricultural College [now University]

US publication Hoards Dairyman, have kindly supplied page proofs of one of Dunkley’s articles which they published. Therein are photos of historical significance to Massey and the world, which the Massey University archives held no examples of. Because of that fact, when similar photos were submitted to the Massey archive for verification, they were unable to do so.

As an amateur researcher, in the field of our farming heritage, I would like to make contact with descendants, to see if any more of Dunkley’s historic photos, taken during his NZ sabbatical, survive. If they do, they could help document the dairy pioneers, of what became a worldwide phenomenon.

As your replies could involve the possible living, please feel free to private message me through the MY MESSAGES or PM icon buttons. If a new member you will need to post three posts before gaining access to that service.

-   Alan
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: W. L. DUNKLEY descendants of ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Without mentioning the therein named living or close relatives by name here,  this is  an Obituary  for Walter Lewis DUNKLEY (1918-2011):

http://www.davisenterprise.com/obits/walter-l-dunkley/

Will PM if I find leads to his family! Let us know if you find then leads yourself though, to avoid duplication of effort  :)

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: W. L. DUNKLEY descendants of ?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 16 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello AMBLY.

About 15 years ago I made extensive enquiries, but Editor Steven LARSON was unable to assist with information as to his possible whereabouts. My email ability at that time was limited, and after a few phone calls to the US faculties Professor DUNKLEY had been associated with, I shelved the idea, as I was fast running out of time for conducting interviews that, would have given detailed first hand accounts of the early to mid 1950's.

As is quite often the case with genealogy research, documented evidence has survived on the other side of the world, to where it was generated, but not saved. In this case Massey Agricultural College introduced the world to a very efficient batch system of milking cows, that was easily replicated by engineers and farmers around the world. Within 25 years the system cornered the market, and in countries where herds were over about 50 cows in size, 70%+ were being milked using variations of the basic system.  Unfortunately I find there are very few records of the pioneering farmers who decided to give the idea a go, and got it off the ground.

Thanks for the link. Not one I found today when I had a quick look before posting here. He was quite an accomplished man. I will definitely keep you in the loop.

Only a semi-retired Kiwi farmer here with many research irons in the fire, and recovering from some successful surgery, so please just give me a little time to reply. Also  I do not normally go on line, if traveling, and away from home.

Thanks  - Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.