Author Topic: The worst Ancestry transcription ever?  (Read 90132 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: The worst Ancestry transcription ever?
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 20:41 GMT (UK) »

George Howson died in 1879 in Belleville Ontario, Canada he was about 80 years old and born in England.   The death certificate was transcribed as Genya Snorton.  Just to add to the mystery the certificate information was incorrect and stated he was aged 0 and born in Belleville Ontario.

Maybe changed his name  ;D

Death certs. can be a hit or a miss depending on who registered the death.

I don't think that people are actually given crucial information as to what info. is actually required (if known), when registering a death.

I don't recall being told what info. would be required when issued with the Hospital info. when my mother passed away in 1984?

I only realised what was needed when I went to the Registry Office.
Luckily my aunt (mum's sis) was with me & could give details I didn't know (I was only 23 yrs old & didn't know her mother's maiden name)!!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 20:57 GMT (UK) »

George Howson died in 1879 in Belleville Ontario, Canada he was about 80 years old and born in England.   The death certificate was transcribed as Genya Snorton.  Just to add to the mystery the certificate information was incorrect and stated he was aged 0 and born in Belleville Ontario.

JJJ2

This is probably a dumb question but if his name, age and place of birth were all wrong, how do you know he's your guy?

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Presumably they ordered the certificate?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 21:20 GMT (UK) »

This is probably a dumb question but if his name, age and place of birth were all wrong, how do you know he's your guy?

I agree Ayashi,

Having read over the post again, and being on a certificate does raise a ?

I initially thought it was a transcription from a site!

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 22 November 16 21:33 GMT (UK) »
From reading this, it does seem the transcription from "Fancestry" was the problem;

https://mymeehanfamily.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/trials-and-tribulations-of-researching.html

Annie

Offline Scrumper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Martin 1886 - 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Geschwender for Mainwaring in the 1891 census, maybe they were drunk.
Davies in Wales :(

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 03:43 GMT (UK) »
About four years ago I completed a spreadsheet of all the people living on three adjoining farms in highland Scotland from 1841 to 1891. There were 24 heads of families and a total of 124 people in 1841. This gradually decreased to 6 heads and 33 people in 1891.

This is from the notes I did after the exercise:

“Survey results were obtained from Ancestry.com Census transcriptions by putting two items only into the search: ‘Shian’ and the year, and then following through by searching the people revealed.

“At least one transcription error was evident in greater than 50% of households. Placenames are the most frequent error, followed by people’s names, then ages; however ages is the most problematical because while names can often be deciphered, an incorrect age needs at least two other sources to find the most probable correct age and to identify the correct person.”

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 09:55 GMT (UK) »

JJJ2

I had found his burial record so I knew the date he was buried.  I then searched the deaths for the death certificate, by going through page by page in the Hastings County, Ontario death register.

JJJ2
Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast

Offline Chooch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Thursday 24 November 16 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Rawlings transcribed as 'Forest Dowling', thankfully I knew the area he was likely to be in and with the help of some clever people found him.
Bear - Essex/ London/Middlesex
Fleming - Stockton,Wiltshire,
Gatward - Essex/Middlesex
Haggar/Hagger- Essex/Middlesex
Osborne - Somerset/Lond/Middlesex. CAN/USA
Page -Essex/Hertfordshire/Middlesex/Canada/USA
Rawlings - Lond/Middlesex UK
Woodroff/e -Wiltshire, Lond/Middlesex
Tillcock - Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire