Author Topic: Moses Kendall/Kendale b abt 1657 possibly Adderbury, Oxfordshire  (Read 483 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moses Kendall/Kendale b abt 1657 possibly Adderbury, Oxfordshire
« on: Wednesday 23 March 16 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Moses Kendall, bricklayer & member of the Friends aka Quaker died in 1699 in Goodmans Fields and his age at death was 42 years.  His marriage record states his father was John Kendall of Adderbury yoeman.  I dont know if John Kendall was also a member of the Society.

From this I have a working hypothesis that he was born about 1657 to John Kendall of Adderbury yoeman [mother unknown].

Unfortunately I have been unable to locate Moses birth nor his mother and hoping for assistance.

Westy

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Moses Kendall/Kendale b abt 1657 possibly Adderbury, Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 16 11:58 GMT (UK) »

The OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (1538-1837) has the following:

30 APR 1637 - John KENDALL to Ann PITTS at Adderbury

Whilst this does seem a little early (but not impossibly so!), it is the only possible marriage.  If this is the marriage of Moses's parents, then it seems that they stayed in Adderbury and that would make it fairly likely that Moses's baptism would be found in the area.

As the name you're searching for is fairly distinctive, perhaps it may be worth requesting a search of the OFHS's Baptism Index (1538-1851) via their "Search Services" link at www.ofhs.org.uk?

Pennie

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moses Kendall/Kendale b abt 1657 possibly Adderbury, Oxfordshire
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 16 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pennie,

Thanks heaps.  I agree that it is not impossible as I have certainly seen many examples where the parents are still having children when their eldest children are marrying.

Thank goodness that wasn't my situation but then it was definitely feasible. ;D

Will keep my fingers crossed re the baptism.

Westy