Author Topic: Mental Hospital- Smithboro, Monaghan  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mental Hospital- Smithboro, Monaghan
« on: Wednesday 23 March 16 23:13 GMT (UK) »
I have a death record for a Thomas Graham, 80 years, widower, who passed away July 22, 1926. It says Place of Death Mental Hospital-senile decay and it says he used to live in Mullaghduff, Smithboro?? The hand writing is not good so I may have spelled wrong. Can anyone advise what the name of the hospital would have been back then? It also gives the name T.P. Conlon "occupier" mental hospital as the informant. Would that have been a Doctor who was the informant or could it have been another "patient" who witnessed Thomas's passing??? I have no clue and I'm just guessing. Thanks to anyone that can offer some help to me.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mental Hospital- Smithboro, Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 March 16 04:33 GMT (UK) »
The location is only a few miles west of Monaghan (town), so is St. Davnet’s Hospital a possibility?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hbf/

Timeline: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hbg/

Edited to add:  It does seem to be St. Davnet's, note the following references in the timeline link above:

1910: "Dr Thomas P. Conlon is appointed R.M.S."
1936: "In June Dr Conlon applies to resign."

This was Dr. Thomas Peter Conlon in the 1911 census, his occupation was given as "Physician. RMS Asylum"  (RMS = Resident Medical Superintendent):

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Monaghan/Monaghan_Urban/Rooskey/810837/

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 16 06:14 GMT (UK) »

... Can anyone advise what the name of the hospital would have been back then? ...

On that specific query, the timeline link previously posted has the following reference:

1925: "The change of name from asylum to mental hospital was enshrined in legislation under
the Local Government Act 1925"

In addition, there is another internet reference to a letter on 21 February 1925 from "T.P. Conlon, resident medical superintendent, Monaghan District Mental Hospital".

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 16 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this useful information. I am trying to find out where Thomas Graham was buried and any family or address related to him. It seems that a burial ground was at the hospital for patients who passed while in care. It mentioned that patients could be buried at Coolshanagh in the Catholic part for 2 pounds per grave. In 1927 burial ground was provided near Tully Kerin Road and in 1929 the cemetery was complete. I will see if I can contact the hospital and see if they have records back in 1926 that might give me some information on Thomas and his next of kin. Thanks again for the useful information. This is very much appreciated.