Author Topic: Ann Luffman  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Ann Luffman
« on: Thursday 24 March 16 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Was born at Great Steeping in 1860. I am anxious to find out who her parents were. She also died in Great Steeping the same year. I have attempted to find the Great Steeping records on Lincs to the past, but am unable to access them. If anyone is visiting Lincolnshire archives I would be very grateful if they could look at the baptisms and burials Great Steeping for 1860. Thanks very much.

The parents I am looking for are Richard Luffman and Elizabeth nee Bierley.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Luffman
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 March 16 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1861 census, Ann could well have been the illeg daughter of Betsey LUFFMAN (22, Ashby) who was granddaughter of Ellenor LEEMAN.  They were in Great Steeping.

Betsey may have been the daughter of the widowed William LUFFMAN (43?, Alford) who was son in law of Ellenor.

In 1851, the same household was
Ellen LEEMAN 60 Saleby
William LUFFMAN 33 (wid) Gt Steeping
Ann LUFFMAN 11 Ashby

Elizabeth LUFFMAN was next door, a servant for Benjamin LEEMAN.

Wm LUFFMAN 20
Rebbeca 20
Elizth 3
Ann 1

Wm LUFFMAN married Rebecca LEEMAN at GS 20 Mar 1837.

In 1861, Ann LUFFMAN 22 was a servant in Ashby.  Obviously, she is in the frame to be the mother of the deceased Ann. :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 March 16 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Was born at Great Steeping in 1860. I am anxious to find out who her parents were. She also died in Great Steeping the same year. I have attempted to find the Great Steeping records on Lincs to the past, but am unable to access them. If anyone is visiting Lincolnshire archives I would be very grateful if they could look at the baptisms and burials Great Steeping for 1860. Thanks very much.

The parents I am looking for are Richard Luffman and Elizabeth nee Bierley.
If you don't have a birth certificate (which would tell you her parent's names), and you haven't been able to find a  baptism or burial for her, how can you quote these details about Ann with such conviction?

Great Steeping baptisms 1719-1949 are on FreeREG. Burials end at 1839.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 16 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam :)

The burial is in the NBI age 0.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 March 16 09:32 GMT (UK) »
There are some in Luffmans there in 1864 and 1866 but they lived in Monksthorpe.

In 1868, there is an illegitimate son, William Henry Rhodes, of Ann Luffman of Great Steeping. The same mother?

David

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 March 16 09:48 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Geoff.  :)
Presumably in Great Steeping.
But depending on the date of burial she could have been born in 1859, Depends what source RR is quoting. Possibly the NBI because he hasn't said 'Ann was x days/months old when she died' - a fact which is usually included in the burial registers.

Actually birth registration Anne Luffman, Spilsby registration district Mar quarter 1860 (so possibly born end of 1859); death registration Spilsby registration district September quarter 1860  (could have died end of June).

Being totally pedantic, unless RR gets the birth certificate, or finds a baptism (which even then will only give her place of abode at the date of baptism)  there is no proof that Ann was born in Great Steeping.  It's not the only place in Spilsby registration district.  :)
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/spilsby.html

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 March 16 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks all. To keep it short they are all related both to each other and to me. We all descend from John Luffman Of the Somerset Militia who left the unit and married at Alford in 1797.
The information i was working on Pam was provided by Geoff last November only just got round to it. William Henry Rhoads Luffman was brought up by my grandfather Richard and his first wife Elizabeth. They seem to have had no children of their own apart from possibly Ann. Looks as though I shall have to buy the certificate to lay this ghost.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 March 23 19:01 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Geoff.  :)
Presumably in Great Steeping.
But depending on the date of burial she could have been born in 1859, Depends what source RR is quoting. Possibly the NBI because he hasn't said 'Ann was x days/months old when she died' - a fact which is usually included in the burial registers.

Actually birth registration Anne Luffman, Spilsby registration district Mar quarter 1860 (so possibly born end of 1859); death registration Spilsby registration district September quarter 1860  (could have died end of June).

Being totally pedantic, unless RR gets the birth certificate, or finds a baptism (which even then will only give her place of abode at the date of baptism)  there is no proof that Ann was born in Great Steeping.  It's not the only place in Spilsby registration district.  :)
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/spilsby.html
Going back some years I know, but after a variety of distrctions (including major cancer sugery) I am now trying to resolve this once and for all. For some reason the Great Steeping records at Lincolnshire archives remain inaccessible, otherwise I would have searched them for 1859 and 60, without troubling my friends on Rootschat. Notwithstanding your remarks about there being other places in the Spilsby RD other than Great Steeping one the balance of probabilities it is likely that my grandfather, Richard Luffman lived there at the time along with his first wife Elizabeth. They had no surviving children together, in fact Ann is the only possible child that I hav encountered. The problems seem to have rested with Elizabeth in one form or another since after her death in 1893 Richard remarried at the age of 66, and had two children, my Aunt Ida (Lucy Ida Kathleen) (b1895) and my father Sydney Harold (b1899). If Ann was in fact the daughter of Richard and Elizabeth then she was my half Aunt. Had she lived things might have been very different, I or Richard's grandson in another dimension so to speak would have been some 35 years older, and I personally would never have existed which many might find highly desirable! I have reopened this since I am now trying harder than ever to tie up the loose ends in my tree. Hope someone visits Lincolnshire ARchive regularly.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 March 23 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Well since you were last looking at this in 2016 we now have the GRO index with mother's maiden name - or in Anne's case no mother's maiden name, so she does appear to be illegitimate