Author Topic: Brick wall anyone? HUNTER & DEVLIN  (Read 6256 times)

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall anyone? HUNTER & DEVLIN
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 16 April 16 04:55 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, thanks Judith!

I found the 1894 death this morning, and confirmed it from memorium notices from daughter Isabella (another grandmother naming!)

What is weird is no trace of births to them as Devlin in NSW for the 3 daughters (Elizabeth, Isabella and Mary).

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 April 16 05:15 BST (UK) »
Found the marriage of John & Margaret (as McKAY) in Glasgow in Feb 1848 on Scotlands People.

Couldn't see her parents marriage but possible for father in Glasgow in 1851 Census shows his birthplace as Ireland.

Progress :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 April 16 07:45 BST (UK) »
Seems to me that this is a good birth match for Mary DEVLIN, given that her father had a business there and that her birthplace is given as Hill End which is ony 4.5k away.

NSW 1856   #7982 registered at TAMBAROORA
Mary A DEVLIN   
Parents: John, Margaret

Possibly Isabella:
NSW  178/1848 V1848178 59   
Isobella (sic) DEVLIN   
Parents: John, Margaret.

FamilySearch has this:
Isabella DEVLIN
Christening Place   St. James, Cumberland, New South Wales, Australia
Birth Date and Place:   11 Mar 1848, New South Wales, Australia
Parents: John Devlin, Margaret

Not sure about the date unless it's been copied incorrectly or perhaps Isabella may have been born at sea or before they left and was registered and baptised in NSW.   :-\   I didn't look at the whole shipping list to see if there were any births on board.

Judith

Just adding the In Memoriam reference in case anyone else is looking
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14061226
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 April 16 07:56 BST (UK) »
Excellent obit with lots of info for Elizabeth SWANN (nee DEVLIN), died 1940 aged 86 - born at Sofala in 1854. Interesting to note that Elizabeth and her husband William SWANN bought and renovated historic Elizabeth Farm House in North Parramatta, thus saving it from dereliction.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/106207087

Can't see a birth registration for her though.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 00:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judith! Yes the SWANN family are very interesting. They had 9 daughters and 2 sons and from what I can find, none of the daughters married - all were teachers (like their father). From what I have read, the house was pretty much derelict when William bought it and considered worthless, so he only paid land value.

He died not long after but his wife and daughters all lived their lives out at Elizabeth Farm and it was sold to the National Trust in the 1960s. It is now a tourist attraction.

That birth looks interesting. If she was born in 1856 she definitely lied about her age!

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 21 April 16 02:43 BST (UK) »

Possibly Isabella:
NSW  178/1848 V1848178 59   
Isobella (sic) DEVLIN   
Parents: John, Margaret.

FamilySearch has this:
Isabella DEVLIN
Christening Place   St. James, Cumberland, New South Wales, Australia
Birth Date and Place:   11 Mar 1848, New South Wales, Australia
Parents: John Devlin, Margaret

Not sure about the date unless it's been copied incorrectly or perhaps Isabella may have been born at sea or before they left and was registered and baptised in NSW.   :-\   I didn't look at the whole shipping list to see if there were any births on board.

Judith

Just realised they did not arrive in NSW until Dec 1848 :( though she did marry in 1868 so agewise that does fit. Odd. (If she was born in Scotland in March 1848, it was a month after her parents married!)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 21 April 16 04:06 BST (UK) »

NSW ER 1878 THE LACHLAN
In the Grenfell Police District.   NO others listed with that surname.
Henry Hope HUNTER, free hold, Seven-mile.

Grevilles PO Directory 1875
GRENFELL
Henry H HUNTER, blacksmith, Church Hill.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Lat58

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 15:52 BST (UK) »
I thought you might like some information regarding Rebecca Hunter nee "Cowen". She was the only child of Robert Abraham Cohen and Mary Daly. I have been unable to find out what happened to Mary Daly but Robert went on to marry Margaret Kidd at Scots Church Sydney. They had 5 children. Robert moved around a bit corresponding with some of the places mentioned in the above posts, Young and Wellington but finally settled in Mudgee where he opened a hairdressing business. The Cohens were very well known in Mudgee with one of Rebecca's half brothers Lawrence been mayor and another George Henry establishing the Mudgee Guardian newspaper which is still operating today. Robert was a convict sentence to 14 years and arrived in the colony in 1821 aboard the Grenada2.  His crime was passing false banknotes. You can find records in the Old Bailey London archives. Robert was Jewish and he is the only Jewish headstone in Mudgee Cemetery.
Interesting that Rebecca changed the spelling of her name at some time.
BTW Robert Abraham Cohen was my Great Great Grandfather.

Cheers Jane

Offline Terry_at_NZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile