Author Topic: Markham / Tomlin marriage and census info plse  (Read 1349 times)

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Markham / Tomlin marriage and census info plse
« on: Saturday 26 March 16 13:28 GMT (UK) »
According to Elizabeth Tomlin's obituary dated 6 April 1937, Hamilton, Wentworth, Ontario her maiden name was Elizabeth Marie Markham and she had resided in Hamilton for 45 years (1892)
She was born in London in 1870.  Her husband was John Tomlin.

I am looking for a marriage for John Tomlin & Elizabeth Markham also any sign of her in any census or on any passenger list.  5 of her siblings were British Home Children and arrived in Canada in 1886, but Elizabeth wasn't with them

Thanks
Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Markham / Tomlin marriage and census info plse
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 16 16:05 GMT (UK) »
No luck with a marriage to John Tomlin - what were the names of her 5 siblings?

Are you thinking she married in England?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking for me
Her siblings were -

John and Charles Markham arrived in Canada together on 19 Apr 1886.  MaryAnn, Eliza and Ada departed Liverpool on 20 May 1886 aboard the Sardinian, arriving in Quebec 7 Jun 1886.

I'm not sure where she married.  I can't find a John Tomlin with wife Elizabeth in the 1901, 1911 & 1916 census that are on FSearch.  Are there any later censuses available for Canada?

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 16 18:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage of a George Lohmann Tomlin age 26 to Pearl Evelyn Stevens on 23 Dec 1920 in Toronto Ontario. His parents are listed as John Tomlin and Eliz Markham. His birthplace is given as Leicester England. FreeBMD has a birth listing in Mar qtr 1895 for a George Lohmann Tomlin which appears to tie in with the info on the marriage record. This would suggest that John and Elizabeth perhaps married in England, assuming that this is the correct couple.

George indicates on the 1921 census that he immigrated in 1904, 1911 census looks like 1909, and I think there is a 1909 passenger listing for him. He was travelling alone, going to his father in Hamilton Ontario (if I remember correctly).

PB

Added: 1921 census has a John and Elizabeth Tomlin, age 50 and 51, b. England, residing in Hamilton Ontario and they give their immigration year as 1907.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 16 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Polarbear

I've found the baptism of George Lohmann Tomlin and his parents were John Tomlin & Clara, so it looks like Elizabeth was his stepmum. 

Can I ask who George was living with in 1911 as I can't find him

Carol
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 16 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a daughter Grace Clara... parents John Tomlin and Clara Joy.  Married in Hamilton in 1922.  Grace Clara born 1897 in England.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKM5-P4ZG

RK

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 March 16 19:46 GMT (UK) »
OK, that explains why his assumed sister Grace gave her mother's name as Clara when she married.

Here is the family I have been looking at in the 1911 census. Click on split view at the top to see the original image.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=30461&highlight=31&desc=1911+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+George+Tomlin

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 March 16 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both

I think I've cracked it.  There is an Elizabeth Marie Markham who married Frederick Sculthorp in London in 1893.  Elizabeth Sculthorp is head of the family in 1911 census and John Tomlin is a lodger with children.

1901 census has Elizabeth & Frederick mis transcribed as Scullkost.

So I am now looking for a marriage of  Elizabeth Sculthorp & John Tomlin

Thanks
Carol
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 March 16 04:17 BST (UK) »
Looks like John Tomlin age 34 travelled to Canada alone, arriving 23 Aug 1907 on the Virginian. He was a Boot Operator going to Hamilton Ontario.

George arrived alone 23 Oct 1909 on the Virginian, going to his father in Hamilton.

Grace and Fred arrived together 08 Apr 1911 on the Mongolian, going to join their father in Hamilton.

I don't see Clara on a passenger list so far nor do I see a death for her in the FreeBMD index during the time John and the children were travelling. No apparent death in Ontario either.

I also don't see a marriage for John and Elizabeth at the moment.

PB