Author Topic: Alfred Ernest Carney DOB, RELIGION, PHOTO  (Read 2650 times)

Offline ladyirish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alfred Ernest Carney DOB, RELIGION, PHOTO
« on: Saturday 26 March 16 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Alfred Ernest Carney
Born:  About 1848
Where:  County Armagh, Ireland
Died:  29 Feb 1929, Fulham, London
Mother:  Unknown
Father:  Robert Carney

I am looking for the details of my great grandfather's  birth, religion and photo.  'Word' has it he was protestant and my great grandmother, Sarah, was Catholic but I would like to confirm it.  The children were raised Catholic and two daughters became nuns.  When I went to verify his religion I couldn't do it because I couldn't find any actual record of his birth.

For those who are Irish or familiar with Irish history, Alfred Ernest Carney would be the father of my great aunt Winifred Carney of the Easter Rising of 1916.  She was James Connolly's adjunct.

Spouse:  Sarah Cassidy Carney
Children:  Alfred Hamilton Carney
               Frederick Leo Carney
               Louis Emanuel Carney
               Ernest Augustus Carney
               Maud Carney
               Maria Winifred Carney
               Mabel Carney

Thank you ever so much.

Warmly, Joan Austin

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Ernest Carney DOB, RELIGION, PHOTO
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 April 16 00:18 BST (UK) »
hello Joan

you are right to be proud of Maria's association with James Connolly which was mentioned recently in an Irish newspaper in connection with 1916.

as for Alfred, I think you may need to expand on your specific requirements, i.e D.O.B, religion and photo, in order to effect assistance. what I mean is it would be useful to know what family information you have thus far (either through the forum or by personal message).

1848 is mid Famine era in Ireland and baptism was a priority to birth registration given that the majority religion was Catholic.

as far as photo's are concerned you will have to look to family connections. Alfred and Ernest were born in Scotland and are listed in the 1881 census with their mother Sarah in Scotland whilst Alfred Ernest was in Bradford in 1881.

Louis married in New York State in 1922, so that may be another avenue for family photographs.

finally (for now) did Alfred marry twice? you mention Sarah Cassidy but there is also a marriage to Sarah Parsons in 1871 although this might be a different Alfred Ernest.

all the best

Tony

uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Offline ladyirish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Ernest Carney DOB- RELIGION
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 April 16 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Thank you for taking time to look and investigate my post.  Another member told me I may not get many, if any responses, as I previously posted an inquiry on a great uncle Frederick Leo Carney, Alfred's son.

I've done a lot of research on my great grandfather and it appears he spent more time in England than he did in Ireland and yes, he had two sons born in Scotland and a baby son who died there.  I can't remember on what document I found where he was born in Armagh.  I am having challenges uploading documents as the system is telling me my files are too big (marriage & death certificate).  Otherwise I've taken his year of birth of census records.

My Alfred Ernest Carney was never married to Sarah Parsons.  He married Sarah Cassidy and even though they separated, he never married again.

I thought I would take a chance an put photo request as, to my knowledge, there are no photos of him to this day.  His son, Louis E. Carney, was my grandfather and there are no pictures from the family.

I'm at a loss as where to look further for Alfred's actual date of birth.  Ancestry has been of little use and one of the many reasons I came here.  If you could be of any more help it would be so appreciated even if it's a matter of getting this post noticed.

Let's see if these jpg attachments will upload.

Thank you so much,
Joan

P.S.  The system is not letting me upload his marriage and death certificate:

"Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow."

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 16 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hello again Joan,

do you have copies of information such as Census etc. for the family? genealogy is like a jigsaw, the more pieces you put together the better picture you get.

as far as the certificates are concerned I would not post them publicly, instead if you prefer they can be sent as a personal message attachment and to overcome the file size problem take a photo' of them and save on a memory stick then attach to your post or just scan in sections of the certificates and that should work.

for now

Tony 
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 April 16 13:14 BST (UK) »
You aren't allowed to post the whole certificate (or copyright items) but can post a small portion for deciphering purposes.

Personal message system does not support sending attachments.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 April 16 14:55 BST (UK) »
Birth registration started in 1864 so he won't have a birth cert, you will need to find a baptism.
What details have you of his marriage?

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 April 16 23:49 BST (UK) »
hello Joan

aghadowey is correct in pointing out my mistake (I've been out of action for a while due to medical issues so I forgot the procedure) however there is no need to upload the marriage and death certs as they will not provide any clues to AE's birth date or mothers maiden name. the dates (marriage 1873 and death 1929) are established, throughout UK census records from 1881 to 1911 (except 1901, no info) AE's birth year date is continually (unusually) stated as 1848 (age's and DOB year changed/were recorded differently + or - 3 to 5 years in consecutive census records (it was a deliberate decision) but sometimes it was for pension purposes)  the 1911 census states Armagh as place/registration of birth. not sure about Sinann's post as I think I covered that however any input from chatters is welcome. am thoughtful about your interest in Frederick Leo, would appreciate your thoughts on him.

by the way, where are you based (you do not need to supply this information)

all the best for now

Tony

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 April 16 00:07 BST (UK) »

1848 is mid Famine era in Ireland and baptism was a priority to birth registration given that the majority religion was Catholic.

Just that there was no birth registration at the time.

Offline ladyirish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 April 16 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Below is a copy of a 1911 English census report.  This is the only document I've found which indicates Alfred Ernest Carney was from Armagh.  Yet, he states he's British so I'm wondering if his parents were British as he is found in London often and died at this address in 1929. 

Thank you for your continued interest and help.

Name:   Alfred Carney
Age in 1911:   63
Estimated birth year:   abt 1848
Relation to Head:   Head
Birth Place:   Armagh, Ireland
Civil Parish:   Westminster St Anne
Search Photos:   Search for 'Westminster St Anne' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island:   London
Street address:   29 Old Compton Street, Soho W
Marital Status:   Single
Registration district:   Westminster
Registration District Number:   6
Sub-registration district:   St James and St Anne
ED, institution, or vessel:   15
Piece:   509
Household Members:   
Name   Age
Alfred Carney   63