Author Topic: William Compton COOK(E) 1837-1889- born Gloucestershire, died Edmonton  (Read 841 times)

Offline Thomo0903

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I am trying to trace the ancestors of my great-great-great grandfather William Compton Cooke, who was a traveller, and wondered if anyone knew of any information about the Cook/Cooke or potentially Compton-Cooke family.

The earliest source I can find for him is a record in the FreeBMD index for a William Compton Cooke marrying Miriam Trapnell in Oxford in 1859. Him and Miriam are then in the 1871 Census and I believe had seven children: Miriam Compton (1862 to), Selina Ann Compton (1864 to 1923), Fanny (1868 to), Amelia C (possibly Clara or Compton) (1870 to), William John Compton (1874 to), Albert (1877 to) and Emily or Elizabeth (1879 to). I am sure I once came across a Marriage record stating his father as William Cooke, but I haven't been able to find that again. I have also noted that it gave his address as High Street, St Thomas, and his occupation as Traveller.

The 1871 Census gives his birthplace as Gloucestershire in 1837.

There is a death record for him on the FreeBMD Death Index as William Compton Cook in Edmonton in 1889. Cook is the spelling of the name which his daughter Selina used when she married David Pett.

His wife Miriam was also from a family of travellers (parents John Trapnell and Louisa ?- claimed in some trees as Louisa Westcott/Westicott). She died in Edmonton in 1908 as Miriam Compton Cook, however I am fairly sure his legal surname was Cook/Cooke, and that Compton was a given name. It looks like they may have started using Compton-Cook(e) as a given name after 1871, with some of the younger children baptised as Compton-Cook(e).

Does anybody have any info on a travelling Cook(e) family? Especially if the given name Compton (or surname Compton) features.

Offline Caleho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Compton COOK(E) 1837-1889- born Gloucestershire, died Edmonton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello
William Compton Cook was also my Great  Great Grandfather.    I have the same information as you, on one record it says he was born in Chipping Campden, another says he was born in Norfolk.

According to my family, he was somehow connected to Compton Wynyates in Warwickshire and Cook is the name of the people that raised him.    I have not been able to find any information to verify this.

I have done some research into Miriam Trapnell's family and her grandmother was one of the first women to be transported to Australia as a convict.   If you would like more info, let me know.

Kind regards
Caroline

Offline Thomo0903

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline

Really nice to meet you!

My family actually have the same story: that we are illegitimate heirs to the Compton Wynates estate. Maybe there is something to it.

My Aunty yesterday said she thought his mother's surname was Compton, but I haven't found any records that verify this.

I had also come across the same stuff as you about the Trapnells. I had wondered if the Cookes and the Trapnells travelled together, it doesn't look like it.

It seems to be a bit of a dead end, but every now and again I waste some more time on it!

Offline Caleho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 December 16 17:26 GMT (UK) »
My Great grandmother was their daughter Elizabeth Caroline Cracknell.  How are you connected?

Offline Thomo0903

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 22:30 GMT (UK) »
My great-great grandmother was their daughter Selina Ann Compton Cook (married name Pett). My great-grandmother Selina Pett (married names Palmer and Finch) used to talk about Compton Wynates apparently.

There is also another family story that an ancestor crossed the Thames of a tightrope whilst pregnant. It might have been on the Palmer side rather than the Pett side (though I am not sure if the Palmers were travellers or not), but it is interesting given:

a) The Trapnells had clear links to circus performers
b) There were two female tightrope walkers nicknamed 'The Female Blondin', both of whom were named Selina. Very likely could be a coincidence/common traveller name, and I have found no link between either of The Female Blondins and the Trapnells/Cookes, but thought you might be interested.

Offline Caleho

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 December 16 16:35 GMT (UK) »
It is interesting that both families have the same story.   I cannot trace any Compton- Cooks before William (1837) but like you, I keep coming back to it.