Author Topic: Baptism of Edgar Spooner, circa 1815  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Griff King-Spooner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of Edgar Spooner, circa 1815 7 Thomas King Spooner
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 November 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »
reading with interest the comments on Edgar Spooner King it leads me to the question of his son Thomas born circa.1856 who shows on different forms to have been born either in Wicklow Ireland or Clerkenwell London can anyone shed some light? 

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of Edgar Spooner, circa 1815
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 November 18 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I havent looked at your other query on Michael but noted these on FreeREG;

Marriages;
St Martin, Colchester, Essex

02 Mar 1783, Joseph SPOONER to Mary KNOPP, Licence. He signed, she used mark (does not say widr)
09 Jul 1786, Joseph SPOONER, Bachelor to Mary KING, Spinster. He signed, she used mark.
Grooms Parish St Botolphs**

Burial same Church;
10 Jul 1785, MARY Spooner, no extra details

Baptisms same Church;
29 Jul 1787 JOSEPH Spooner
09 May 1790 JAMES Spooner (birth 22 Nov 1788)
Parents JOSEPH/MARY

I noted your Michael Thomas was christened St Mary the Virgin at the Walls (+ siblings) on Familysearch.Org.

Just noting as there were 2 Joseph/Marys having children in same time frame in Essex.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 November 18 16:55 GMT (UK) »
thanks for your help.......possibly Mary King could be a forebear as no one in the family can pinpoint the origin of the family surname King-Spooner (I've updated my family tree with a question mark) thanks again

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/Themes/gRe: Baptism of Edgar Spooner, circa 1815
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 August 20 10:11 BST (UK) »
I was recently contacted by a distant and most helpful relative who has supplied details of the last years of Edgar (who now just used Edgar King as his name), apparently after the death of his 3rd wife he emigrated to Auckland, New Zealand on the 2nd January 1882 arriving on the ship "Wellington", he was followed there later by some of his children, Mary, Francis and Theresa. He started work by opening a small Sarsaparilla drinks store which was viewed back then as a health tonic before returning to his earlier trade of tailor/cutter, he died tragically in 1884 in his 72nd year after falling off the Otakia bridge over the river Taieri subsequently drowning, he was on his way to meet his family prior to catching a ship back to Auckland....

Offline Viv 30

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, can I add to this discussion?  I'm the distant relative referred to above.  My line is from Michael Thomas Spooner's brother, Joseph Adams Spooner, born 17 April 1789, Colchester; married Mary Newby of Shenfield on 20 October 1812, St Magnus the Martyr and St Margaret Fish Street Hill, London. Mary died a widow at Ingatestone in 1856; Joseph was a sea captain/master mariner who disappears from Lloyd's shipping records about 1828. These two were my paternal 3x Gr Grandparents.  I'm trying to establish who Michael and Joseph's parents were - Joseph Spooner and Mary ....... Knopp, King?  I have small segment DNA matches to 2 descendants of Edgar Spooner-King or King-Spooner.  Apart from what's already been discussed in previous postings on this subject, are there any other suggestions to help identify Michael and Joseph's parents? 

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 August 20 21:05 BST (UK) »
Viv -

If you message me, I can give you everything I've got on the King-Spooner line (which is quite a lot), including a full account of how the King-Spooner name came about.

It's taken a LOT of work, and a massive amount of collaboration with other family members to tie all the pieces together ... but we're pretty much there now on the lines that we're jointly researching.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 August 20 09:45 BST (UK) »
Viv 30 need two more posts before you can PM one another.
And welcome to Rootchat Viv.

Trish  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Viv 30

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 August 20 12:51 BST (UK) »
If you are the person liaising with Griff then I have your contact details.  If not, my mistake.  I'd be very pleased to learn more about the King Spooner or Spooner King family line.   I descend from another branch of the family and am trying to trace back beyond Michael Thomas Spooner and his brother Joseph Adams Spooner.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 August 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
I am indeed, Viv.

I have your e-mail, and have replied with full extracts from my family notes, on all the ancestors I have been able to identify from Edgar Spooner (alias King, alias King-Spooner) back up the line.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright