Author Topic: Is this my Richard Depledge?  (Read 148 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is this my Richard Depledge?
« on: Monday 22 April 24 13:44 BST (UK) »
Richard Depledge and Sara Scorer married at Darton on 14 Nov 1672. Richard was buried in Darton on 25 Mar 1721, occ labourer, residence looks like Broomhouse Green. Sarah was buried on 13 March 1728. Neither record gives age at death, but a feasible baptism for Sara is 16 Jan 1651 d/o Raphe - she would be abt 21 at marriage.
However the only Darton baptism I can find for Richard is 8 May 1658 s/o Richard, the record helpfully has his birth as 8 April, so not a late baptism. This would make him only 14 at marriage - is this likely ? Would a woman of 21 have a relationship with a 14 year old boy? Their first child was baptised 4 months after the marriage - so there might have been some pressure to get married.
Can anyone find an older Richard who would be a better fit?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Is this my Richard Depledge?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 April 24 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Lizzie

Not the answer you are seeking, but there is a Feb 1740 Yorkshire Probate, for a John Depledge of Darton, at the Borthwick Institute, York.

Unfortunately it is not a Will, but if the Admin was granted to one of your descendants of Richard Depledge or your known family at Darton, it broadens out your family of interest.

Sometimes Wills & Admins prove lateral links.

Borthwick charge about £7.50 for b & w image from m/f sent via link, or a bit more for Colour scans of original probate files complete.
 ----------
Regarding age, I have a Legal Notice of a Court Case suggesting that the person named was an alleged descendant of a relationship between the Son (named with place) & his Mother, two generations earlier.

An earlier Will and reference to the Baptism Register indicated, only the first child was baptised, all the other children were not baptised.

Mark

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 April 24 16:01 BST (UK) »
I have some Richard Depledges not too far from Darton -- but probably a generation or so later than yours -- but there may be a connection somewhere?

Richard Depledge "of Burton Smithies" married my 5x Great Aunt Eden Wainwright at Royston in 1754.
I don't have a birthdate for Richard, but Eden was born 1730, so am assuming similar or older.
Richard died in 1758 and was buried at Royston
I have not tracked Richard's family backwards as he is only a side branch

Richard & Eden's children were bapt at Royston and I have made a note that there was another Richard Depledge -- of Notton -- also baptising children at Royston during the same time period.

So it would seem that Richard Depledge was not too unusual name in the wider area at that time
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 April 24 16:26 BST (UK) »
I have a Richard Depledge baptised 1724 at Sandal Magna s/o John Depledge and Grace nee Jepson, I have tentatively linked him to the Notton one.  John Depledge was baptised in Darton in 1692 son of "my" Richard and Sara Scorer and may be the one buried at Darton in 1740.
So many Depledges and spelling variations  - and not very imaginative on the forenames they gave them
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 08:54 BST (UK) »
I have a Richard Depledge baptised 1724 at Sandal Magna s/o John Depledge and Grace nee Jepson, I have tentatively linked him to the Notton one.  John Depledge was baptised in Darton in 1692 son of "my" Richard and Sara Scorer and may be the one buried at Darton in 1740.
So many Depledges and spelling variations  - and not very imaginative on the forenames they gave them

Hi Lizzie

Might be worth seeing or getting a scan of that 1740 John Depledge of Darton, despite it being an Admin?

Several York Admins acquired, the widow appearing has renounced to other family, named.

The Yorks property Deeds Registry goes back to circa 1700.

If Richard's property was Copyhold or rented from the Lord of the Manor, a lot of Manor and Landowner records survive for many places.

Tenants can be listed in Manor Rentals and Copyhold transfers (some transfers to relatives) of property in Court Rolls.

Just a quick google "Manor of Darton" ...

Leeds University
Manor of Darton Court rolls 1664 1691, 1704, 1715 - 1720, 1729 1736, 1742 ... map of the manor of Darton, 1776 map 47 map of the manor of Notton, 1735 map 48.

Added
We once used several Wills of their Wives families, which fortunately had references to the male lineage and places.

Mark

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mark for the suggestion. I have also found lots of Scorers in Darton (Sara's family) so am looking into them. I managed to confirm quite a lot of  ancestors in other lines through wills as well. One was very useful - a man who never married but had several siblings and hence a lot of nephews and nieces. Not only did he name all his siblings (married women with husband's name too) but said whether they were older or younger. And confirmed the paternity of the illegitimate son of one of his brothers - bonus!

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 09:13 BST (UK) »
The Yorkshire Probate Registry Calendars (Borthwick Institute, York) on f m p.

Only a small proportion of York registered Wills were PCC registered (TNA & Anc)

Just read some Wills of Catholics might be registered in Quarter Sessions records.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 April 24 09:48 BST (UK) »
Yorkshire
York Probate Courts

https://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/holdings/research-guides/probate-courts/

Only the York registered Wills of one of the York Registries, seem to be viewable on f m p