Author Topic: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?  (Read 24303 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 17 November 16 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately these Selby ... "Disbursements for the Workhouse &c." only start April 1785 [Im. 1237] to May 1786 (with the May page/s lost).

The pages before 1785, are the Assessments for collecting the money in, it seems.

According to Selby Parish Transcriptions there was a Steel family, so likely Steel and possibly her poor relief, paid along with others. It also gives the numbers above in the [Work]House it seems, too.

William Kennington & Sarah Archer [Im. 1238]
Noticed specific references to the expenses of chasing up Wm Kennington / Wm Honnington the supposed Father of Sarah Archer's Child and a visit to Wentbridge, Swinfl't and Pontefract (Journeys to Pontefr't on same the acc't).

Be interesting if the birth/baptism was recorded at Wentbridge, Pontefract, Swinefleet or elsewhere (as it does not appear in Selby transcriptions) and see what was recorded the other end, if only to get a feel of the procedure.

-----------------

Not saying George Hood was illegitimate, as we don't yet know.

Interesting though, thank you.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #82 on: Thursday 17 November 16 13:59 GMT (UK) »
We'll know better when WYAS re opens in Wakefield to check quarter session 1784 to 1788 for any possible illegitimate as George Hood or as a George -------- ? another surname orders on the father for child support payments.  ???

Illegitimacy is a strong possibility when all other routes of research are at near exhaustion ! - even Quakers records - bearing in mind George Hood early Selby info is Anglican C of E and he stated born in Yorkshire 1841c and only Hood's in Selby the OAP's John and Jane Hood and Maudland Turner nee Hood by sound of migrants of Scarborough to Selby. Jane Hood nee ??? from  ???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Thursday 17 November 16 15:03 GMT (UK) »

Quarter session records are available on Anc* for Wakefield and Leeds.

I am researching a family in the Ripon/ York / Topcliffe area of Yorkshire. What I have noticed is there are quite a few Hood families in the Topcliffe registers, with a few Georges in the c1780/90 baptism registers. Have these been checked out ?
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 17 November 16 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks Claire and dobfarm.

I do have some Topcliffe Register images downloaded (from Ancestry), Claire these were not easy to follow at the time, one of the Parish Registers appears to be a copy of another.

-----------

Staff Sgt George Hood of Leeds who also died in September 1845 (just before my George H), Staff Sgt Hood was born Burniston near Bedle [Bedale?]

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728347.24

-----------

Also the 1835 Will Bundle of George Hood scanned.

The 1835 Kirby Hill Probate Bundle of George Hood the Elder of Milby, in the County of York, Innkeeper who died 13th March 1835 ...

Children were:-
George Hood [likely 29 November 1789 Kirby Hill by Boroughbridge. 1851 Langthorpe Census aged 60 farmer with 69 acres born Milby, Yorks]

Ralph Hood [likely 28 June 1792 Kirby Hill by Boroughbridge. 1851 Langthorpe Census aged 60 Inn keeper Ship Inn, born Milby, Yorks. NOTE - "Ship Inn" appears to have been added to Innkeeper, with a line to a lower entry for Joseph Green and John Green Timber Merchants sons, where the words "at home" are added.]

Mary Batty [nee Mary Hood likely 4 July 1800 Kirby Hill by Boroughbridge]

Rachel Wrigglesworth [nee Rachel Hood 9 February 1803 Kirby Hill by Boroughbridge]

Thomas Hood [24 December 1805 Kirby Hill by Boroughbridge]

James Atkinson of Rockcliffe owed a 'Certain debt' of £150 to George Hood.

George Hood the Elder and son Ralph also had a "Lighter".

The information posted to help others and information in square brackets is not in the actual Will, but taken from the 1992 IGI surname HOOD Yorkshire microfiche (unchecked in Registers). The two 1851 Census page images have been viewed.

-----------

The other George Hood appears to be the one at Langthorp (Boroughbridge) in 1851 Census.

-----------

Seems the one who died c.1835 may have previously been the same George Hood, as "Mr Hood's Grantham Arms" Boroughbridge (Nr Aldborough), but Will refers to another pub., and a newspaper search suggests Hood was at the Grantham Arms well into the 1820s. Seems he was a horse trainer owning horses.

-----------

Got some Wills transcribed from the Borthwick ...

Crude summaries of two Hood Wills of Baldersby / Topcliffe

Will of John Hood of Baldersby 1794 (proved Topcliffe) my dear wife Elizabeth ... real estate situate within the township of Crake hall ... now in the possession of my son William Hood or his assigns ... my brother in Law William Wright of Baldersby ... my daughter Ann the wife of Thomas Cooper ... Annuity out of my said real Estate at Crakehall aforesaid upon trust ... payments ... my said daughter Ann ... to be paid and equally divided amongst all the children of my said Daughter Ann ... I give and devise unto my son William Hood All that my estate situate within the Township of Crake Hall aforesaid as the same is now in his possession ... my said son John shall continue Tenant to the Farm he now rents under his Grace the Duke of Devonshire at Baldersby aforesaid ... Load of coals from Ulierley Pitts ... son in Law Thomas Cooper ... Daughter Ann Cooper his wife ... 3 December 1792 ... Seal April 1794

Will of John Hood of Baldersby October 1814 Topcliffe
I John Hood of Baldersby in the Parish of Topcliffe in the County of York Gentleman ... my dear wife Ruth Hood the Tenant right of my farm ... I give to my daughter Mary the wife of William Morley of the City of London ... £250 ... ref to my present farm at Baldersby ... Estate at Aisenby in the Parish of Topcliffe ... various references to changes in the Will, if remarriage occurs In trust for my three daughters Mary Elizabeth and Ann share and share alike ... at the age of 21 years ... Mary now wife of William Morley she (having already attained the age of twenty one ... John Dale of Skelton Gentleman mentioned William Wright of Baldersby aforesaid Gentleman ... 15 July 1811
Witnesses Jno Coates, Willm Spence, George Christian Clarke pass'd 5 October 1814

----------

I ordered and paid for the "George Hood" Boroughbridge/Aldborough and Ripon Deed Registration searches AND copies from Wakefield, but they cancelled my order, as they were closing a week later, really they ought to have honoured my order, because it was placed a week before the cut-off date for ordering.

----------

Not sure if Geo Hood September 1845 burials were checked at Ripon, as it seems more were/are being added on FindMyPast.

---------------------

Placing this link here so that I don't lose it (Scottish Tax images), not related to above ...
http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/transcriptions/search/%22George%20Hood%22

Regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 17 November 16 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Staff Sgt George Hood of Leeds who also died in September 1845 (just before my George H), Staff Sgt Hood was born Bedale.

If I remember last year when I researched this particular GH,I found from his Chelsea Pensioner records he was born in Burniston, Scarborough
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 20 February 17 11:05 GMT (UK) »
From Ancestry website Apprentice indenture Thorne

Mordecai Casson master

Apprentice John Cockin 28 July 1796

Mordecai Hood Casson

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Thorne/Thorne34Dry.html

Thorne 1834 trade directory

Miscellaneous

Casson Mordecai Hood, currier,Silver st

Also spelt Hord see linked post ...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=756955.msg6175319#msg6175319

Seems Eliza Hord is possiby related to the Married couple or Procters, also some Proctors listed as relatives at the Thorne wedding.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Saturday 22 April 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Claire, it seems a Casson Coat of Arms (Ancestry) has 1840 Pannal Hall.

Pannal Hall is near Harrogate but was the Seat of the Bentley family!
A Bentley Will trancsript
http://www.harrogatepeopleandplaces.info/wills/r/033.htm

An unverified internet source suggests a Casson may have owned a residence called Wescoe Hall, later called Pannal House?

I also see information in respect of an Edwin Casson a Surgeon of Bradford, later of Pannal. Might be worth checking 19th Century Census?

No family makes claims and then allows original source paperwork to disappear!

Regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 22 April 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
This particular Edwin Casson was born in Sheffield in 1806 father Benjamin Casson (Gentleman).  He married Ann Inkersley in Bradford in 1838

1851 living at Church Hill House Bradford
1861 Blakehill House Eccleshill (Bradford)
died 1863 probate of Pannal House, Pannal

Link to family history of Pannal Hall

http://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/news/family-s-sad-farewell-to-pannal-hall-1-2650011

and something on Westcoe Hall

http://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/news/pannal-area-n-ews-1-2651740
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 22 April 17 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Goughy

I've checked the 1863 Probate Register now and Edwin Casson formerly of Bradford Surgeon and Apothecary deceased was late of "Pannal House", Pannal, both in the County of York.

This confirms Edwin Casson was not of Pannal Hall, which was the family Seat of the Bentleys.

I am interested in separating fact from fiction.

Regards Mark