Author Topic: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?  (Read 24290 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 27 October 16 08:04 BST (UK) »
I assume you have the 1911 census for Edwin.  I obviously cant  post the details but he is listed as the son-in-law of someone not called Ediss.

Once you review the 1911 you should see where Frank fits in:

01 Jan 1897 Heage, Derbyshire
Frank Tomlinson s/o Benjamin married Annie Shore d/o Joseph Smith Shore.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSJL-K8H  (Note Occupation)

Added: 10 Jul 1871, Heage, Derbyshire
Joseph Smith Shore 18 s/o Isaac
Alice Elizabeth Ruth Stone 19 d/o John

Hi

Thank you for this information Jomot.

In 1911, I can see the Shore and Ediss members, along with Mary Hood and Edwin Casson Hood, at Heage Hall, Belper, Derbyshire.

Because this 1911 Census was laid out as original blood family relationships, likely in relation to Joseph Smith Shore, the Head, separating:-
Mary Hood, Daughter, 38, Married under 1 year, born Heage, from her husband
Edwin Casson Hood, Son in Law aged 53, Married under 1 year, born Yorkshire Selby,
but obviously linked by two blue crosses against each Hood.

Also two straight blue marks against Elizabeth Smith Ediss, Daughter, 38 and George Newell Ediss, Son in Law, 52, both married 12 years, although separate from each other in the list.

With earlier Census in b & w, I wonder generally, if other colour marks, are missed by us.

The 1911 Census page signed by Joseph Smith Shore, of Heage Hall, Belper.

I await the Probate with interest, to confirm this Frank Tomlinson ...
"01 Jan 1897 Heage, Derbyshire
Frank Tomlinson s/o Benjamin married Annie Shore d/o Joseph Smith Shore.
"

but initially, it looks like my suggestion of the possible linkage to an earlier generation, is going nowhere.

Seems Frank Tomlinson baptised 1897 Heage, was retired by 1942 per Probate Register.

I am going to look to see if any documents survive for Heage Hall.

Regards Mark

Reference to Heage and the Shores on page 65 of The Old Halls, Manors and Families of Derbyshire. Volume II.  ...
https://archive.org/stream/oldhallsmanorsa02tillgoog

Seems Shore was a Tenant, so possibly any family documents taken by the family, if any.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of the Late JANE CASSON HOOD of Selby / Brayton - Please contact me?
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 27 October 16 11:25 BST (UK) »
Seems Frank Tomlinson baptised 1897 Heage, was retired by 1942 per Probate Register.

His marriage was 1897, he was born 1874.  The 1939 shows him already retired but still living in Derbyshire, not far from Edwin.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Thank you Jomot for your reply.

Got another document relating to my Hoods at Selby.

There is a side-ways HOOD relative we've not heard of before (no dob, no age or death date, but an uncommon forename, per Free BMD search from 1837) and who might just go back far enough, to break into my Ancestor's secret world and unravel my family mystery.

Thank you, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Nothing to get too excited about, but many people (Casson of Thorne, George Richardson of Selby and Richardson of Hull and elsewhere) and places previously discussed, including the Proctors and Hutchinsons of Selby!

The Richardsons had even been Tanners at Whitby, also Tanners at Newcastle and a reference to the Cook surname too, well Captain Cook.

Even an Isabel Richardson born 1777 (daughter of Henry and Hannah Richardson of Whitby) who married Henry Casson. Isabel Casson also being a Quaker, dying 1857 aged 80.

The Richardsons were Tanners at Low Light / North Shields Newcastle. John Richardson Proctor (son of Joseph Proctor of North Shields) apparently took over his uncle's works, of William and Henry Richardson, the Low Lights Tannery.

Loads of Marriages listed at the end, including Proctor and Hutchinson of Selby and a George Richardson born Selby, who married in New York.

Records of a Quaker Family: The Richardsons of Cleveland
https://archive.org/stream/recordsofquakerf00boyc#page/n9/mode/2up

Great book, but quite incredibly, absolutely NO reference to any Hood or Hord, not even William Hood who had married Jane Casson.

Perhaps a mention of my George Hood and John Hood of Selby (John Hood married Sarah Richardson of Selby, at Sculcoates, Nr Hull) were only omitted, as neither were Quakers and as Jane Casson did not marry a Richardson, she was also omitted?

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 16 November 16 10:30 GMT (UK) »
This info is advisory only.

If assuming George was born illegitimate, and say bastardy orders are missing, then if the father had been ordered to pay a regular set sum of monies through the birth place parish of George -parish administration, who then paid the illegitimate mother. Thus a regular payment to a young lady paid above the normal amount paid out ordinary parish poor folks spasmodic relief payment levels would show up. The quarter sessions order such payments applied to the fathers birth place courts of his county of birth (fathers)

Its most likely the mothers surname is used at baptism but sometimes the child takes the biological fathers surname in later life or if adopted then take the adopted fathers surname.

~~~~~~~~--------

The surname   Heels in its own right  or Steels

or the surname Heels/Hools Heel/Hool corruption to Hoods/Hood ? showing up ;D

Selby 1785 Ann Heels or Steels

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9F6-WX4H?i=1238&cat=729257
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 17 November 16 01:02 GMT (UK) »
This info is advisory only.

If assuming George was born illegitimate, and say bastardy orders are missing, then if the father had been ordered to pay a regular set sum of monies through the birth place parish of George -parish administration, who then paid the illegitimate mother. Thus a regular payment to a young lady paid above the normal amount paid out ordinary parish poor folks spasmodic relief payment levels would show up. The quarter sessions order such payments applied to the fathers birth place courts of his county of birth (fathers)

Its most likely the mothers surname is used at baptism but sometimes the child takes the biological fathers surname in later life or if adopted then take the adopted fathers surname.

~~~~~~~~--------

The surname   Heels in its own right  or Steels

or the surname Heels/Hools Heel/Hool corruption to Hoods/Hood ? showing up ;D

Selby 1785 Ann Heels or Steels

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9F6-WX4H?i=1238&cat=729257

Hello All

Thanks dobfarm.

Next image after.

Mar 1st
To a Letter send.g to Hood on 8th. 1d

EDIT: believed to say "Howdon"

Regards Mark

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 17 November 16 01:22 GMT (UK) »

Mar 1st

I read this as Howden, not Hood  :-\
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 17 November 16 01:33 GMT (UK) »

Mar 1st

I read this as Howden, not Hood  :-\

Thanks Jomot for 2nd opinion.

Further down ...
15th
To A Letter from Howdon concerng Widow Bickerton 4 1/2 d

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 17 November 16 09:00 GMT (UK) »
I would not  totally rule out 'Ann Heel' as maybe ? an illegitimate mother getting her regular payment of 2 bob ( Shillings) regular suddenly starting 1785 from a father of her child ? (the timing year is the interest in her)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth