Author Topic: Trying to trace Martha wife of William Smith b:1874  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace Martha wife of William Smith b:1874
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 April 16 17:17 BST (UK) »
If you aren't already aware, The Family Tree of Matthew and Merrick Lock compiled by Eric Trudgill was one of the three new titles in the RTFHS Family Tree series published earlier this week.

The others are a second STANLEY family volume, The Family Trees of Paul & Peter, Richard & Owen Stanley, compiled by Anne-Marie Ford and The Family Tree of Joseph and Letitia Butler compiled by Eric.

rtfhs.org.uk/publications/gypsy-families/ also shows a list of other families mentioned in each volume.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 April 16 20:01 BST (UK) »
I was interested in the Stanley book? where were the Stanley's from?

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 April 16 08:33 BST (UK) »
The title shows: From about 1710 to about 1910 from primarily Dorset, Devon and Somerset.

Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 April 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Darnity, LouisaS

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 April 16 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Darnity
Apologies for delay in replying. Thanks very much for your message.
I have seen the new books on RTFHS and have ordered one so hopefully should receive it soon  :)
Lamb Travelled Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire & Middlesex areas finally settling 1950s Hampshire/Berkshire boarder.
Smith Travelled Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Somerset, Surrey & Hampshire.

Offline Shainiebath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 January 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello i am willie smiths great grandaughter he married rosina coles and his dad and mum was gildroy and evie smith and he had sisters were carroline/currie gorgina who drowned herself dennis sammual liberty james edward danny albert but they called him gilbert or gilly mourice and ernie but i think it was short for edward. Has anyone got any more information on these i know they was always stopped back at glouster has anyone got any photos thanks

Offline LambFran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shainie and Vince
I have just been reading your messages. Gildroy & Eve are my great, great grandparents. Their son William (Willem) was married to Martha. I have not yet found any absolute evidence that Martha was the daughter of Natty & Annie but Eric Trudgill's latest book about the Lock Family does suggest that she is.
William & Martha had a son Willie who is named with them on the 1911 Census at Trowbridge in Wiltshire along with his sister who is my grandmother.  She is named on the Census as Louisa but her name was in fact Emily Louisa. The other siblings named on the 1911 Census are Georgina, Julia, Tilly, Colena (aka Lena or Corrie), Amy and Elizabeth. The others were born later but they were Ernie, Linda, Israel (aka Danny), Gilbert, Charity Patricia (aka Patty) and Maurice. Corrie & her husband Butcher had a daughter named Poppy.
Do either of you have trees on Ancestry? I have a picture of Emily-Louisa on my tree.
Vince, hope you don't mind me asking but I would love to see any photos you may have too.
Does your dad remember Emily Louisa?
Shainie, my dad told me that Willie was married to an Ena - was Rosina's name perhaps shortened to Ena? and that they had a daughter Eileen.
Hope some of this information helps.
best wishes
Lambfran.
Lamb Travelled Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire & Middlesex areas finally settling 1950s Hampshire/Berkshire boarder.
Smith Travelled Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Somerset, Surrey & Hampshire.