Author Topic: Windows 7 update problems  (Read 3125 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 update problems
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 April 16 23:03 BST (UK) »
A useful piece of free software that goes a long way to preventing the downloading of these Windows 10 related updates is GWX Control Panel.  It informs you whether your computer is at risk of being open to these downloads and also allows you to control this.

The link in my previous post avoids having to install GWX Control Panel and does exactly the same thing.  Its easy enough to follow.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Peterjay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Peter Nottinghamshire United Kingdom, changed pic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 April 16 16:21 BST (UK) »
I have had lots of trouble trying to download and install 100s of Win 7 updates, many of these have either failed or cancelled (loads of them) my Belarc Advisor tells me I have no critical updates pending, and the update history tells me these failed etc ones are important or recommended.
 Now, the big question is should I try and attempt the Windows 10 free upgrade using the icon or could this be a disaster being as the failed updates are not in place, how would I install the failed ones anyhow.
 Many thanks.
 Peter.
P.S no new updates showing for download
Clover, Matthews, Bradley. Franklin, Dredger, West Ham London area. Clover's in Suffolk.
Tydeman West Ham

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 April 16 16:43 BST (UK) »
Have you done Check for updates?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 April 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
If you intend to go the W10 route the W7 updates are not relevent as W10 will install all of its own requirements.

The usual caveat applies re using a new operating system in that you should make sure everything will run after the changeover , although my own experience is that W10 is more tolerant than some of its predecessors some people have had problems.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 April 16 17:00 BST (UK) »
Peter, is Windows Update showing a recent check for updates?  If its not a recent date, as Hallmark has enquired, have you tried getting it to check for updates?

Something that can happen is that it will show more updates than it needs and fail or cancel some of them, but the next time it checks with microsoft a number will disappear because they have then been superceded by others that had installed first.  To be honest, with that number of updates, its not that unusual for it to take several goes at installing them all and unfortunately you just have to bare with it.  How many times has it tried installing those that are failing or being cancelled?

However, if its having problems updating anyway, there could be a wider issue that could cause problems with the Win10 update.  Its difficult to say.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 April 16 18:17 BST (UK) »
The reason I ask is that... forgetting about W10... some of those updates require Update/Shutdown, then when one boots up one of gets 'Installing Update'... then one got other updates which may need same processes until it gets up to most recent!!

So.. if you go for W10 and it doesn't work, what will you be reverting to??  A very unupdated W7???

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 April 16 18:51 BST (UK) »
True Hallmark, but I've seen it with a long list whereby the more recent updates supercede the previous ones that were also in the list and they then show as failed/cancelled until it checks for updates again.  Its not unusual in those circumstances, especially if its been checking for a while and they've just not been installed.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 April 16 18:59 BST (UK) »
Yes that's the problem... without the PC in front of one it's not really possible to advise!

Not used W7...but can all the updates (failed etc) be deleted?

Then check for updates!! Install any... then go for W10

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 April 16 21:32 BST (UK) »
As Hallmark says, it is really difficult to help without access to the actual machine. However, I found that, if you keep running Windows 7 Update manually, with all the necessary restarts, it does eventually sort itself out. I believe failed updates are either re-installed or deleted automatically if they have been superseded. It can take a few hours, or even days, before everything settles down.

I think Microsoft originally said you need an up to date system before you upgrade to 10  :-\

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent