Author Topic: Eltham family in Somerset  (Read 343 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eltham family in Somerset
« on: Friday 01 April 16 14:30 BST (UK) »
From Freereg
John Eltham married Ann Love at Bath St Michael on 9 Dec 1804, wit. William matthews and C Russel. marriage was by licence. Pallot marriage index says James was a bachelor and Ann a spinster, so they're likely to be reasonably young probably in their twenties. They had children: James was baptised at Bath St Swithins on 25 Jan 1807 and Eliza on 15 Nov 1811 at Timsbury. On the same day in Timsbury is burial of John Eltham. No age or other detail given so I'm not certain that it is John the father, but I can't find any further children for the couple. What looks like James the son married Sarah Brown at Bath St Michael on 30 Sep 1828, wit Thomas Whippy and James Burt. They have a child Ann Jane bapt Bath St Swithin on 22 Feb 1829. James, Sarah and daughter go to London and have further children, I can track them through various censuses, although James died in 1843, the rest of the family are easily identified.

Can anyone find where John came from, I would guess he would have been born about 1770 - 1780. Ann was buried at Timsbury on 17 Dec 1813, her age at death is 34, giving a year of birth about 1779. And what happened to their daughter Eliza (b abt 1811)
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott