Author Topic: Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 4)  (Read 10833 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 4)
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 April 16 13:02 BST (UK) »
Only part way through, too much going on here today, none of the men had call outs today so they are hanging around and causing a disturbance >:( ::) ;D Just got to the part mentioned in Jennywrens post but had to give up.... :-\

(shouldn't complain too much though, over the weekend IT geek son presented me with my own pc, no more sharing ;D ;D ;D)

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Online SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 April 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
I understood the little video with the family tree and the XY chromosome business, but then they lost me completely with the next video (of the male prof reading from his notes)  ???

Also, perhaps I missed it in the science "stuff" that flew way over my head, but no mention of using the X chromosome to trace ancestors?   So, why did Chris' brother do the DNA test not her?  See, I'm definitely not getting this DNA malarkey, am I?   ???

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 04 April 16 15:57 BST (UK) »
I understood the little video with the family tree and the XY chromosome business, but then they lost me completely with the next video (of the male prof reading from his notes)  ???
Also, perhaps I missed it in the science "stuff" that flew way over my head, but no mention of using the X chromosome to trace ancestors?   So, why did Chris' brother do the DNA test not her?  See, I'm definitely not getting this DNA malarkey, am I?   ???
STG

I may be wrong here... but Y is the Male line and X is the female line, I think. And so if you're trying to find a link on the male side, you need a male to take the DNA test. (A female test would just show the X result, - Maternal line).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 04 April 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Haven't even looked at this week yet as I'm on a roll with the German side of my family as I've just discovered more information in the Württemberg, Germany, Lutheran Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1500–1985. I found my great great grandfather and his baptism gives his father and his mother with her maiden name! I found 8 siblings all to the same parents. Then I found their marriage which again gives the names of both parents!

I'm now checking out a tree that follows a line back and is well sourced. Might be the break through I've been looking for.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 04 April 16 16:13 BST (UK) »
Groom

If you want any help with the German I'd be happy to oblige. :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 04 April 16 16:27 BST (UK) »

I may be wrong here... but Y is the Male line and X is the female line, I think. And so if you're trying to find a link on the male side, you need a male to take the DNA test. (A female test would just show the X result, - Maternal line).

Romilly.

Well yes, but ... did they actually say that/spell it out? If so, I apologise, but had obviously mentally switched off because it was making my brain hurt and didn't hear that bit.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter though.  It was just one more week of a course I'm not enjoying/getting anything much from.  Am only sticking with it because I'm stubborn  ;)

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 04 April 16 16:43 BST (UK) »
Groom

If you want any help with the German I'd be happy to oblige. :)

Thank you very much, I may well take you up on that offer.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 04 April 16 16:47 BST (UK) »
Romilly.
Well yes, but ... did they actually say that/spell it out? If so, I apologise, but had obviously mentally switched off because it was making my brain hurt and didn't hear that bit.
In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter though.  It was just one more week of a course I'm not enjoying/getting anything much from.  Am only sticking with it because I'm stubborn  ;)
STG

I do agree STG... I was hoping to learn something new from this Course. I haven't so far, but you never know...(!)

Romilly ???
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 04 April 16 21:25 BST (UK) »
I'm annoyed by Tahitia's pronunciation of "geneAlogy" as "geneOlogy", and tickled by the Scottish lady's reference to "Asterix" (wasn't he an ancient Gaul and a cartoon character?) for "asterisk", even though I thought her wild card information was helpful

GeneOlogy - "a" as in "swap". Isn't that just the usual Eng. to American vowel shift?
As for Asterix, that amused me too.  "-iks" instead of "-isk"  is akin to the way many Scots say "pattren" rather than "pattern", a habit that is more common in some areas than others. I'm not sure if it happens elsewhere or is purely a Scottish aberration!
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland