Author Topic: Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 4)  (Read 10829 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Free Online Genealogy Course with FutureLearn (Week 4)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 April 16 22:15 BST (UK) »
From the course syllabus looks to be much more about proof with DNA added on at the end
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline tjugg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bosun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 April 16 22:24 BST (UK) »
DNA -  don't know how that would work with a long line of ag labs and chimney sweeps! Its going to be an interesting week.

Linda
Blunden Dorset and Surrey
Rayner Suffolk and Sussex
Norris and Wellman Dorset
Wheatley Yorkshire and Suffolk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 April 16 02:15 BST (UK) »
DNA is such a complex and confusing (for me  :P) topic that I doubt the course will be able to scratch the surface.

Anyone who is interested will find lots of discussions and links on the DNA board - there are some very knowledgeable people who frequent the board, so likely that you will get more from reading that than you will do on the course.

I am interested in DNA and have taken a "Family Finder" test, also organised YDNA tests for father and OH - have found no connections for any of us.

I can see a benefit in DNA tests to try to find a link between two people who are not sure if they have a common ancestor. I assume this is what will be touched upon in the course.

Offline Magiccat1978

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 April 16 03:18 BST (UK) »
Well I've just finished week 4 and I felt DNA was only touched on lightly in the later sections of the course and although it explained things it wasn't anywhere near as in depth a part of this weeks course as I'd hoped it might be. I would definitely have to do a lot more research into it before making a decision on whether it would be useful for me to test. Having said that I now understand it a little which is progress so I have learned something useful from this week  ;D
Greenock-Williamson,Guthrie,McIlhagga,Morris,McPherson
Lanarkshire-Reid,Bennett/Bennard,Stewart, Miller,Brown,Jamieson,McGregor,Davidson, Paterson,Anderson,Allister,Renwick,Shearer.
Stirling-Guthrie,Coutts.
Montrose-Guthrie,Brown,
Arbroath-Smith,Adam,Garland,Esplin,Davdison, Fender,Moncur
AyrshireRankin,McDickens,Bennard/Bennett,Carrick,Russell.
Ireland-Williamson,Galbraith,McIlhagga,Adrain. Bennard.
Fife-Brown,Williamson
Whitburn-Brown,Smart,Martin
Staffordshire-Abbiss,Oakley,Morris,Southall

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 April 16 08:09 BST (UK) »
Are you planning to look at the course again during the week, Magiccat? I find that I often get more advice and ideas from comments posted by other students, many of whom won't have started the week yet.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 April 16 09:06 BST (UK) »
I must say that more than 50% of the knowledge and satisfaction I gain from FL courses is by interacting with others during the course of each week, helping them, learning from them, enjoying their triumphs, commiserating with their brick walls and receiving fascinating links to FH websites and databases previously unknown to me.  Without that interaction you might just as well sit down and read a book.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 April 16 09:17 BST (UK) »
At last there is a mention of lateral thinking.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 April 16 09:21 BST (UK) »
I must say that more than 50% of the knowledge and satisfaction I gain from FL courses is by interacting with others during the course of each week, helping them, learning from them, enjoying their triumphs, commiserating with their brick walls and receiving fascinating links to FH websites and databases previously unknown to me.  Without that interaction you might just as well sit down and read a book.

I find that Rootschat also fulfills all of those criteria  ;D   ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 April 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
Well I've just finished week 4 and I felt DNA was only touched on lightly in the later sections of the course and although it explained things it wasn't anywhere near as in depth a part of this weeks course as I'd hoped it might be. I would definitely have to do a lot more research into it before making a decision on whether it would be useful for me to test. Having said that I now understand it a little which is progress so I have learned something useful from this week  ;D

Already!   I'm impressed. 8)

I'm feeling that this course has been too ambitious in many ways, trying to appeal to beginners and improvers from all over the world, and in consequence has really only scratched the surface, in some cases leading to assumptions that are frankly incorrect.  We're half way through and many of us more experienced researchers are quite frustrated.  I think perhaps there should have been several courses suitable for different levels of previous knowledge. 

I'm annoyed by Tahitia's pronunciation of "geneAlogy" as "geneOlogy", and tickled by the Scottish lady's reference to "Asterix" (wasn't he an ancient Gaul and a cartoon character?) for "asterisk", even though I thought her wild card information was helpful.

Well, here goes with week 4.  (I still think DNA testing is a marketing exercise. >:()
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.