Author Topic: Query on 1903 Birth Registration  (Read 2932 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Query on 1903 Birth Registration
« on: Tuesday 05 April 16 10:22 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

I wonder if anyone could enlighten me.

A 1903 birth registration in Ayrshire of an illegitimate child - a daughter.
The baby is registered with the father's surname - the word illegitimate is clearly written below. Both parents' names and occupations are recorded.
The informants - first the  Mother's signature followed by the father's signature and address (he is living at a different address and town than the mother) .
I know that (as is the case today) a child of an unmarried couple could be registered with the father's surname  if he was present at the registration.
This couple married approx. 6 months after their daughter's birth and remained married till the woman died in the 1940s.

However in the left hand column of the birth registration the words Re-registered on 16th May 1959  are written. There is no RCE.
What would this mean?  Does it just mean that a new birth certificate has been issued ? If so why the term Re-registered ?

Many thanks for any ideas.

Looby :)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Query on 1903 Birth Registration
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 13:54 BST (UK) »
RCE stands for Register of Corrected Entries. Since 1965, it has been known as the Register of Corrections, Etc.

There is info. on SP.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 14:06 BST (UK) »
RCE stands for Register of Corrected Entries. Since 1965, it has been known as the Register of Corrections, Etc.

There is info. on SP.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your info.
I should have clarified that I knew what RCE (Register for Corrected Entries ) stood for and that if there is a correction it can be viewed for the extra charge of 2 credits on Scotlands People.

However as I stated this birth entry does not have a RCE.  :-\ 
Thanks and regards,

Looby :)

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,

Interesting. I have had occasion to correct 2 entries, one a birth, one a death recently on SP. When they sent me the new copies (which I had to pay for) one says " corrected entry" and the other has just the extra info added to it (the birth).

Just had a thought. The birth entry which I had corrected was my late husband's. He was born in 1934 and was illegitimate. The year after his birth his mother was awarded maintenance for him through the courts in Edinburgh. His father did not contest this. Parents never married. When we were getting married in 1965 we had to obtain a copy of his birth certificate and were told that because of this court order his birth was open to re-registration but would have to be done by one of his parents. His mother was still alive but he never broached the subject with her.

Enough of my story but my point being perhaps the lady born in 1903 waited until both her parents had passed away before she had her birth certificate amended.

Hope this helps.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Dorrie.

It's certainly puzzled me - the word re-registered
There has been no additional info or amendment added to or made to the original record except those words (obviously in a different hand ) in the left hand column.
As approx. 56 years had passed - I wonder what led to this re-registration ?
Would the term 'illegitimate' be on the actual birth certificate? Could it be she asked for that to be removed?

Looby

Online dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,

Have you seen both the original and the re- registration? Normally on births registered at that time date and place of parents marriage would be noted on the birth certificate - as you probably know already. It would be interesting to know exactly what extra info is on the 1959 one.

I don't know what your relationship is to the lady and what you know of her life but could there have been anything significant happening around 1959 that she would need her birth certificate for and that's how it came to be re-registered?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 18:40 BST (UK) »
By Gosh, thanks Dorrie  ;D

This is going to sound stupid but it never occurred to me that there would be another registration in 1959 !! DOH !
I had assumed that something had to be altered on existing record or on the actual certificate and couldn't work out what that could be. But a quick look on SP has established that there is a birth registration in 1959 for my lady (Christian name/middle name/surname all match as do County and district) . I never knew that an adult could re-register their birth 56 years on !
The mother of the girl was my great -grandmother's sister , so the girl was my grandmother's cousin. There is a bit of a mystery with them and the 2 sister's had lost contact circa 1910.

Thank you for your help. I will now have to go in a week or two when I can get the chance to my nearest SP centre and check out the 1959 entry. How exciting  :D

Looby

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 18:48 BST (UK) »
Did she maybe need her full birth cert to obtain her first passport in 1959?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 18:59 BST (UK) »
Could be carol8353. That is possible.

I do not know anything about the lady concerned other than she was a cousin my grandmother never really knew as my great-grandmother's sister and her husband plus daughter moved away and all contact was (allegedly) lost.
Being inquisitive I had been looking into the circumstances of this family's estrangement and finding this note on the birth certificate proved that the daughter at least must have returned to the town of her birth to re-register that birth !

It will be interesting to see the 1959 entry when I can get to SP centre.

Thanks for your suggestion,

Looby