Author Topic: Donald Fearnley  (Read 731 times)

Offline Florrie67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald Fearnley
« on: Wednesday 06 April 16 14:07 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if anyone can help but my uncle Donald Fearnley died November 1999 in Leeds, West Yorkshire. As he didn't know of any relatives (he was fostered as a child), Leeds Council seem to have arranged his funeral. I have telephoned the bereavement dept of Leeds Council to ask whether he was buried or cremated and where he was laid to rest so I can pay my respects. Unfortunately they said there are 22 cemeteries and crematoriums in Leeds and I would have to know which one before they could check! Am going round in circles and wondered if anyone has any suggestions.
Thank you.

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Fearnley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 14:12 BST (UK) »
If it was a local authority funded funeral, then it would almost certainly have been a cremation ....there won't be that many crematoria in the area ( probably only a couple). Try giving them a call direct.

Offline Florrie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi AntonyMMM, thank you for the advice. Unfortunately it is one central number now for all crematoriums and cemeteries in Leeds. They don't have one database and refuse to look through every crem/cemetery records to find him.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 14:22 BST (UK) »
Would it help if you put this onto the Yorkshire board, with a heading such as "Which Leeds crematorium?" in the hope that some kind person close enough (I'm not, sadly) could find out "on the ground" as it might be? Worth a punt?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Florrie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I decided to phone the council again (for the thirs time) and got a different lady who was very helpful. She has found he was buried in Cottingley and gave me the grave number. I have been looking for 3 months so thank you very much for encouraging me today to give it a final try!

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Florrie67.

Well done for persisting; finding such a helpful person restores your faith in human nature, doesn't it?  It's quite wrong though that you were fobbed off twice, and I hope she was made aware of it.  Maybe someone in Leeds needs a little more training in customer relations?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Florrie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 April 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol, x

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 April 16 17:52 BST (UK) »
So glad you got a good result in the end. On balance there are, thank goodness, more nice, helpful people out there than there are "jobsworths". (Well, we are all helpful to each other, aren't we?)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)