Author Topic: GAY FAMILY - CRAIL AND BEYOND  (Read 12783 times)

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GAY FAMILY - CRAIL AND BEYOND
« Reply #63 on: Monday 02 May 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
Harry

I agree with you on the date of Williams death as 1865 not 1864.   The inscription says he was 16yrs old so that fits.       I will just have to plug on and hope to find William Alexr.

many thanks for all your help

Harry

Offline FL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 25 February 17 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harry

Thomas Gay and Christian Brown are my GGGGGrandparents.   Thanks also for your info, much appreciated.

My GGGrandfather James Taylor (1824-1855) who married Christian/Christina Gay (1824-1911) was also lost at sea,   He was the Master of the SS Albion  when it was lost.   His son Andrew George was born 8 months after the sinking.   George went on to marry Mary Ann Gay (1866-1928).   Quite a mix with all the Gays!!!

Harry

Hi, realise your post is several months old but if you see this, I think we are distantly related- Andrew George Taylor was my Great Grandfather (so James Taylor who drowned on the Albion was my Great Great Grandfather)! My attempts at tracing the family tree beyond him and Christina/Christian (? wasn't sure if was 'ina' or 'ian') came unstuck on Ancestry and Scotland's People websites so if you have any info beyond them then would love to find out more!

Offline FL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 25 February 17 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Also, do you have more info on the sinking of Albion itself? My father believed it had either been on its way to/from Orkney (thought its cargo was potatoes one way and coal the other) - not sure what direction it was going when it went missing.   Be great to fill in some of the gaps if you or anyone else on this site has any info. Thanks.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 26 February 17 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harry

Thomas Gay and Christian Brown are my GGGGGrandparents.   Thanks also for your info, much appreciated.

My GGGrandfather James Taylor (1824-1855) who married Christian/Christina Gay (1824-1911) was also lost at sea,   He was the Master of the SS Albion  when it was lost.   His son Andrew George was born 8 months after the sinking.   George went on to marry Mary Ann Gay (1866-1928).   Quite a mix with all the Gays!!!

Harry

Hi, realise your post is several months old but if you see this, I think we are distantly related- Andrew George Taylor was my Great Grandfather (so James Taylor who drowned on the Albion was my Great Great Grandfather)! My attempts at tracing the family tree beyond him and Christina/Christian (? wasn't sure if was 'ina' or 'ian') came unstuck on Ancestry and Scotland's People websites so if you have any info beyond them then would love to find out more!

James Taylor appears to have been the son of James Taylor, coal merchant, and Jane Taylor, who were married in 1814 in Crail. James the father died in 1867 aged 77, and was the son of James Taylor, shoemaker, and Margaret Elder.

The Christian Gay who was married to James Taylor, ship's captain, was the daughter of William Gay, seaman & fisherman, and Anne Paterson. In 1841 Wm. and Anne have James Paterson, 80, living with them, presumably her father. William Gay, widower, died in 1858 aged 72, son of Thomas Gay, fisherman, and Christian Brown.

Harry

Offline FL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 26 February 17 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks very much - great to be able to add these to the tree. Using Ancestry and Scotlands People I got very muddled when I tried mapping this myself, especially since my GG Grandmother's side were Gay too- I think Mary Ann Gay (who married Andrew George Tarylor, son of James who sank on the Albion) was the daughter of Jessie Anderson and John Gay. Think Gay and Taylor seemed the 2 most common surnames in Crail over those decades!

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 26 February 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, lots of Gays and Taylors. One of the eight fishermen drowned at Crail harbour in the disaster of 21st January 1765 was an Andrew Taylor, and over a century later my great-great-grandmother Marjory Myles married a fisherman called Andrew Taylor in Crail.

Harry

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 27 February 17 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Also, do you have more info on the sinking of Albion itself? My father believed it had either been on its way to/from Orkney (thought its cargo was potatoes one way and coal the other) - not sure what direction it was going when it went missing.   Be great to fill in some of the gaps if you or anyone else on this site has any info. Thanks.

The detail I have on the Albion is:

SS Albion was a Sloop of 68 tons, 15 metres length with a beam of 5 metres, built 1823.

Arrived Aberdeen from Wemyss 2 Dec. Left Aberdeen 18 Dec for Thurso to collect Orkney seed potatoes.

30th December is logged as having long continuous s'ly gales. Ship may have been lost in the Pentland Firth.