Author Topic: Heir raising moment -spooky or what ?!?  (Read 25951 times)

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heir raising moment -spooky or what ?!?
« Reply #45 on: Friday 15 April 16 11:07 BST (UK) »
Knowing much more about my maternal grandmother's family, when I first started researching my family history I began with her side.  After some months I decided it was time to do my grandfather's side and having obtained certificates and checked the census I was really spooked to find that they actually descended from the same family so my 5xmaternal grandfather is also my 6xpaternal grandfather.  Considering my grandparents were born on the opposite sides of the same county and the family originated from a tiny hamlet in the next county was amazing. 

It got even spookier when I checked the parish records and found that the baptisms of my 3xmaternal grandfather and 4xpaternal grandfather were on the same page of the register and the marriages of my 4xmaternal grandparents and 5xpaternal grandparents were next to each other in the register.  That's what I call keeping it in the family!!

Lyn

:o :o :o :o
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 15 April 16 11:26 BST (UK) »
When I discovered that my parents-in-law were actually 4th cousins, my mother-in-law said that I'd done enough digging.  ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 15 April 16 11:36 BST (UK) »

:) ;) ;)

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 15 April 16 12:59 BST (UK) »
When I discovered that my parents-in-law were actually 4th cousins, my mother-in-law said that I'd done enough digging.  ::)

;D ;D ;D

That remark would make me dig even more  ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 15 April 16 13:10 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D....maybe she knew a bit more that she didn't want you you to find out?.?
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 15 April 16 13:35 BST (UK) »
Another "spooky" experience I had was last year when I managed to find my gg grandfather in the 1881 census with his family. Then I found him in the 1891 census and one member of his household was his grandson with a surname which niggled at the back of my old mind. So I backtracked on this boy and discovered he also had a sister (they had both ended up in a poorhouse for a short time after their mother died and their father did a runner.) Well this girl's full name had the bells ringing in my mind but I could not recall why. Then one night out of the blue I could hear my gran saying "We met ........ down the town today."  The girls exact name and I could remember being with my gran when this happened. No I thought its your mind playing tricks on you it couldn't be the same person could it? Now being very curious I managed to find her death certificate and she died a few months after my "meeting" with her. It was the same person and I was 6 years old at the time.

Did this prompt come from the deep recesses of my mind or was my gran helping from beyond.

Spooky.......................?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 15 April 16 15:06 BST (UK) »

I always like to think with stories like that Dorrie, that maybe we do get help from our loved ones that have passed.  :)

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 15 April 16 15:08 BST (UK) »
Another "spooky" experience I had was last year when I managed to find my gg grandfather in the 1881 census with his family. Then I found him in the 1891 census and one member of his household was his grandson with a surname which niggled at the back of my old mind. So I backtracked on this boy and discovered he also had a sister (they had both ended up in a poorhouse for a short time after their mother died and their father did a runner.) Well this girl's full name had the bells ringing in my mind but I could not recall why. Then one night out of the blue I could hear my gran saying "We met ........ down the town today."  The girls exact name and I could remember being with my gran when this happened. No I thought its your mind playing tricks on you it couldn't be the same person could it? Now being very curious I managed to find her death certificate and she died a few months after my "meeting" with her. It was the same person and I was 6 years old at the time.

Did this prompt come from the deep recesses of my mind or was my gran helping from beyond.

Spooky.......................?

Dorrie

Goosebumps!!
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 15 April 16 21:46 BST (UK) »

I always like to think with stories like that Dorrie, that maybe we do get help from our loved ones that have passed.  :)

claire

I like to believe that as well.   I had a relative who was into genealogy and had been for years, and after she had died, all of a sudden I was finding people that we had both been searching for but could never find before.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk