Author Topic: Heir raising moment -spooky or what ?!?  (Read 25965 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Heir raising moment -spooky or what ?!?
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 16 April 16 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi jaybelnz,

That's a lovely memory to have , and poems as well. All these stories make our 'history' come to life.

I often think my Grandfather is watching over me. Not long ago someone started a post on here " the first music/ record you ever owned". As soon as I saw the post I thought " Vienna " by Ultravox, and then this voice popped in my head. " dream your tears away".
 This was the title of a song/ record my grandfather bought me when I was really little. I was going through a bit of a rough time , and I could remember the words of a song I probably hadn't heard for 43 years. It made me feel a record he gave me when I was a child I finally understood it's meaning when I needed it most.
Don't suppose anyone remembers it, it was by my childhood faves 'Pinky and Perky'  ;D

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 16 April 16 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi jaybelnz,

That's a lovely memory to have , and poems as well. All these stories make our 'history' come to life.

I often think my Grandfather is watching over me. Not long ago someone started a post on here " the first music/ record you ever owned". As soon as I saw the post I thought " Vienna " by Ultravox, and then this voice popped in my head. " dream your tears away".
 This was the title of a song/ record my grandfather bought me when I was really little. I was going through a bit of a rough time , and I could remember the words of a song I probably hadn't heard for 43 years. It made me feel a record he gave me when I was a child I finally understood it's meaning when I needed it most.
Don't suppose anyone remembers it, it was by my childhood faves 'Pinky and Perky'  ;D

claire

Now you mention it I think I may have had that record.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 16 April 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi pharmaT

It was actually the B side to 'What's New at the Zoo'.  :)

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 16 April 16 12:04 BST (UK) »
About 20 years ago I wished for a London born ancestor, I really felt an affinity with London for some reason. All I knew was I had family from Suffolk, Essex and Durham. In early 2004 I found my great gran was born in Islington, London. Sometimes I wonder is it meant to be, the want for a London ancestor was because I had one.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline wotty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 22 April 16 20:12 BST (UK) »
I went on holiday to Rothbury in Northumberland on the trail of great great grandfather Edward Pyle (with practically nothing to go on). Every night I went to bed asking Ed to give me a sign. One wet day we went for a pub lunch, having chosen the pub only because I liked the hanging baskets and afterwards we walked through the church yard. There I found the grave of an Edward Pyle (not my Edward Pyle though). I made a note of the details from the gravestone and carried on. On further research I discovered that in 1861 the Edward Pyle in the graveyard had been the licensee of the pub we had just had our lunch in and going back further to the 1841 census found him with his mother and grandparents - and my Edward Pyle was in that household too.
I think they do try to help from beyond the grave, but you have to be specific who you want to find, especially if there are lots of Edwards in your family!

Meehan - Co Durham, Ireland, USA and Canada
Hopps -  Co Durham and N. Yks
Ward, Mortimer, Littleboy - Norfolk
Angus -  Co Durham
Pyle -  Co Durham and Northumberland
Rowntree -  N Yks and Co Durham
Ridley - Co Durham
Kelly -  Co Durham and Ireland

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 23 April 16 15:19 BST (UK) »
Don't think it'd work with my mob - one, who was for a few years a Spiritualist, is very evasive.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 23 April 16 23:26 BST (UK) »
About 20 years ago I wished for a London born ancestor, I really felt an affinity with London for some reason. All I knew was I had family from Suffolk, Essex and Durham. In early 2004 I found my great gran was born in Islington, London. Sometimes I wonder is it meant to be, the want for a London ancestor was because I had one.

I was the same with Irish ancestors, Coombs. Having found several in my wife's ancestry, I had always bemoaned that I had none. I don't know why, I've never been there, but for some reason I felt a little empty. Imagine my surprise when I broke down two separate brickwalls to find three lines of Irish ancestors. I have raised a Guiness in triumph every March ever since.  ;D

And Wotty, I did a similar thing. I had old photos of when my great grandmother held the licence on a pub just out of Adelaide. My wife and I went there one day, armed with the photos. The manager was fascinated, and even pointed out which window was which as some had been bricked up. A great day.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 30 April 16 21:18 BST (UK) »
I was born 100 years after my Great Grandmother
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 30 April 16 22:32 BST (UK) »
I was born 100 years after my Great Grandmother

I've always thought that because I was born 100 years after my paternal great grandfather came out to South Australia, that was the reason I have become a family historian. I know it's not true, but it's as good a reason as any.  :)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.