Author Topic: Heir raising moment -spooky or what ?!?  (Read 25976 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Heir raising moment -spooky or what ?!?
« Reply #171 on: Friday 13 May 16 00:07 BST (UK) »
Was your house a new build, Irishrose? If not it would be interesting to see if anyone with those names ever lived in the house before you.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Friday 13 May 16 12:20 BST (UK) »
I recall reading somewhere that children who have their little imaginary playmates, may well be connecting with someone who has died! 

Added - also reputed to be Angels!

My cousin had a imaginary friend who she used to talk to at night in bed when the lights were out, she was about 8 or 9, he was Peter, and she said she thought she saw him. Of course I think this is all in the mind, the only Peter in the family was Peter Packard (1703-1757).
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline liz877

• -
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Friday 13 May 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
Since doing my family tree two incidents have stood out. When we went to Nottingham we decided to drive round to see if we could see my mums old house from when she was a child and also other family members homes, having never driven around the area before, I thought I would end up lost, but I managed to find each house I was looking for - it was almost as if someone was driving for me.

The second incident was when I was at our local records office looking through a number of burial records, all in books by year and as I looked through them I piled them to one side, when I got to the last book without finding what I was looking for the pile beside me fell down onto the table again and one of them fell open.... right there in front of me was the information I was looking for.  :o
Stott, Ingram in Aberdeenshire, Lowe and Goddard Nottingham and Shropshire

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Friday 13 May 16 14:54 BST (UK) »
Since doing my family tree two incidents have stood out. When we went to Nottingham we decided to drive round to see if we could see my mums old house from when she was a child and also other family members homes, having never driven around the area before, I thought I would end up lost, but I managed to find each house I was looking for - it was almost as if someone was driving for me.

The second incident was when I was at our local records office looking through a number of burial records, all in books by year and as I looked through them I piled them to one side, when I got to the last book without finding what I was looking for the pile beside me fell down onto the table again and one of them fell open.... right there in front of me was the information I was looking for.  :o

I'm having visions of the scene in the library from "Ghostbusters".
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Friday 13 May 16 14:55 BST (UK) »
We moved into our house that was built in a cleared area known by older neighbours as the "Old Oak Woods" When I was pregnant, both myself, my husband and my mother and aunt heard a baby crying in the house.  We were a little spooked. When my son was about 3 weeks old, we had visitors sitting in the living area. My son was in his cradle beside us but his baby monitor was still connected in his bedroom.  We all heard a baby cry from his room even though he was asleep in front of us.   When my son was less than three, he talked to us about Jack who played with him in his room. Jack was the naughty one who made all the mess. We asked him to describe him, which he did, along with his sister Sukie, brothers Mallie and Greg.  He would look at me and say, "can you not see him Mum?".  To this day I am still unsure if he had an imaginary friend or something more.  He is now 18 and we chat about it sometimes but he doesn't remember it.   On the positive side, there has never been a scary energy in our house, BUT, lots of shadows moving in the hallways.  I see them regularly, and it doesn't bother me, but it has spooked a few babysitters over the years.

And that is like something straight out of a book or movie.  :o
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Friday 13 May 16 15:15 BST (UK) »

Everyone on here spends a lot of time researching people no longer with us. I couldn't live in a home like irishrose does , I'd be a nervous wreck  :o :o
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Saturday 14 May 16 09:24 BST (UK) »
Lol Claire, as I said, I feel no negative energy in my home, but there is a childish spirit here. Things are moved sometimes, and in my sons original bedroom where he used to chat to his "friend", no matter how often I tidy the room, and straighten the bed covers, it looks like someone has just sat on the bed.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Saturday 14 May 16 09:33 BST (UK) »
Oh crikey, irishrose that's really spooky  :o  :o

As pinefamily quoted having visions of a scene from a certain movie, I can also hear those words

" If there's something strange in your neighbourhood, Who you gonna call ?  "..... ;D ;D

The only time I had anything like that happen was February 1995. I awoke during the night thinking someone was calling out. I went to the bathroom and just happened to look back down the hall, there stood my uncle waving his hands at me and shuffling his feet, a big smile on his face. Nothing wrong with that apart from the fact he'd died the week prior. He'd had several large strokes that left him crippled and unable to move. To me it was like him showing me he was happy and alright again. I turned away and logically thought, count to ten,  turn back, and it would  just be your mind playing tricks on you. He was still there when I turned back. I have never run so fast and dived back under the covers in all my life👻

To this day I still don't know was I dreaming, or I actually saw him. 
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Saturday 14 May 16 09:44 BST (UK) »
I never felt comfortable in my parents' house, which had long passages, and the sort of stairs where there is an area at the top where you can look down on anyone in the hall....I always used to feel that there was someone there looking at me when I came in the door.

When they went away, and I was alone in the house, I was always nervous for some reason to sleep there by myself.  The long passage from the front to the back of the house was particularly worrying.

When my children were born, I was careful never to mention any of these things - why start making them frightened when there really wasn't anything to worry about - but my son has subsequently said that he always felt worried in the house, and that his fears were exactly the same as mine, when I'd never shared those with him.

I've researched the house, which was built at the end of the 19th Century, and has been lived in by comparatively few families.....but my parents were very very happy there, and very proud of it.

Never worried them!

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex