Author Topic: HOWELLS Marriage in Cape town to TALANDA  (Read 1667 times)

Offline helenehanff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HOWELLS Marriage in Cape town to TALANDA
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 February 20 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks for the Talanda link it makes interesting reading.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Johann Talanda came out aboard the German ship Adolph Woermann via Antwerp and Southampton on the 6th December 1910.This seems to have been a troop ship (See note below the list of passengers). No names are ever shown, just the numbers (209 in total on this voyage.)
All these troops were reinforcement for the German troops (Schutztruppe) in German South West Africa. The link is https://www.immigrantships.net/v18/1900v18/adolphwoermann19101130_01.html was he killed during WW1 in South West Africa?
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline gunkskunk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 March 23 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all interested in the Talanda (hi)story.

Though not bearing their name I am a living ancestor of the above-mentioned Talanda Alois who was the only one of three brothers who remained in Czechia. Particularly my grandmother is the daughter of Alois' son. I am still living in Czechia so if you have any questions regarding the Czech branch let me know, my granny is still alive I can ask. But unfortunately as I just recently realised about Talanda African branch I have no clue to whom Mrs. Howells married. Long way ahead.

So I would really appreciate it if someone knows more about the Talanda family in Africa. The story above seems to be based on the truth but to be honest it appears to me as quite an exaggerated one. After all, personally I do not think that cruelty of their father led them to leave Czechia to Africa. This was not that common voyage in my country as far as I know. And I would say cruel fathers (let's say conservative, especially catholics) were absolutely normal here. There should be something more. So far as I know the family is pretty down-to-earth, at least my Talanda branch. Anyway, Granny sometimes states that the surname is too weird, she tells me that her father always proposed that it comes from Spain (from some village). No proof for that.

To be honest I was focusing on different parts of my family roots, but this motivates me to research more. So far I can say that I could trace them until the middle of the 18th century.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 March 23 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I see a lot of the Talanda family have graves in Glencoe Natal South Africa https://www.graves-at-eggsa.org/cgi-bin/library/dosearchGraves.pl
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Online JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 March 23 11:18 GMT (UK) »
An interesting story so far.
Just wondering if anyone has any information on the family of Freda Howells?
"Freda Burchmore nee Howells. She married Percy Burchmore in 1939' as per the #1.
I have an interest in the Howells of Herefordshire and just wondering where Freda's family hailed from?

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.