Author Topic: SWAN family of North Shields and Constantinople, Turkey?  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
SWAN family of North Shields and Constantinople, Turkey?
« on: Saturday 09 April 16 00:19 BST (UK) »
Recently I found my WATSON family marrying into the SWAN family of  Constantinople!

I have traced several twigs of the SWAN family both in North Shields and Constantinople, merchants and ship owners.

But the most important link still needs to be proved. In the 1881 census at 29 Leazes Terrace Newcastle, Emma WATSON a 50 year old annuitant born in Newcastle has Charles A.Swan, her    "second cousin", age 18 living with her. He is described as an "apprentice at a marine engine works" but he is a British Subject born in Turkey.

I think I have found the link between the WATSON and SWAN families where Emma's sister marries into the SWAN's. - Maria Roxby WATSON married Richard SWAN in the Newcastle district bet July and Aug 1848. I don't know which church so I suspect a register office marriage perhaps.

I have got as much info as possible from Ancestry.com, Findmypast and the Consulate BMD's online records. Now I am hoping a descendant of the family might see this and be able to add to the information I already have. So please don't look for info on these resources, I probably already have it. As I said, my main focus is trying to find where Charles A Swan fits into his "second cousin" Emma Watson's family.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SWAN family of North Shields and Constantinople, Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 16 13:05 BST (UK) »

Maria Roxby WATSON married Richard SWAN in the Newcastle district bet July and Aug 1848. I don't know which church so I suspect a register office marriage perhaps.

Newcastle Journal 15th July 1848
In this town, at St Andrew's Church, [snip details of another marriage on 13th]

On the 11th inst. Richard, third son of Mr John Swan of North Shields, to Maria Roxby, eldest daughter of the late Mr Ralph Watson, grocer, of this town.

Boo

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 April 16 15:47 BST (UK) »
 you have the burials for the
Swan's of Constantinople
Charles Albert,March 13th 1863 - 30th June 1909

Thomas,aged 81 years,Nov 1909
Elizabeth wife of he above aged 73 years,1905

William aged 33 years,april 29th 1879,and his daughter Marrianne Fraser Swan aged 15 months feb7th 1874,
it may be wrong  to assume that they are related the Swans but seems highly likely
 Thomas Angus and his wife Nora are also  buried there
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 April 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
Newcastle Courant
Bebek Constantinople
William Ridley Swan
late of North Shields,
on the 29th April 1879
states 54 years
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 April 16 16:15 BST (UK) »
you have the burials for the
Swan's of Constantinople
Charles Albert,March 13th 1863 - 30th June 1909

hmm, unless there was a huge coincidence or an error in the records, then his middle name is a puzzle. There is a probate entry in 1910 for a Charles ROBERT Swan of Constantinople, who died on 30 June 1909 (will proved in London, probate to Eleanor Swan, widow)

Apologies to Gen, I just got nosey, will leave you in peace now as you probably already know this stuff :-)

Boo

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 April 16 16:22 BST (UK) »
I have an interest in the Swans,so go ahead be nosey Boo

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 April 16 16:43 BST (UK) »
Can you put me on track Gen

I can see Emma with her mother Margaret Watson in 1861,
but looking back I can not see her father George with a sister Maria can you tell me where they are
so I am sure I am looking at the same family please

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 April 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
Morning Radcliff

Yes I have all those Consulate and FindAGrave records but thanks anyway.

Emma WATSON dau of Ralph WATSON and Margaret nee ROXBY.
All Saints  Newcastle baptisms
"1830   Jul 15th   Emma dau of Ralph and Margaret WATSON   of Claremont Place   grocer"

her sister Maria Roxby WATSON was the one who married Richard SWAN 1848

Gen in rural NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 April 16 22:26 BST (UK) »

hmm, unless there was a huge coincidence or an error in the records, then his middle name is a puzzle. There is a probate entry in 1910 for a Charles ROBERT Swan of Constantinople, who died on 30 June 1909 (will proved in London, probate to Eleanor Swan, widow)

Boo
Yes I came across that probate too and I think there is an error in the records for Charles' middle name. How many Charles (-?) Swan's married to an Eleanor could there have been in Constantinople in 1909, for heavens sake? I think his middle name was Albert as I've seen him named as Charles Albret SWAN somewhere..... have not come across the name Albret before!

Gen in rural NBL England