Author Topic: Silly census question  (Read 5590 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Silly census question
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 April 16 21:35 BST (UK) »
Several weeks after each main Census  a small sample "check" census is undertaken.   Probably a computer generates the addresses at random.

Not in 1911. The first comprehensive attempt to check the quality of the census results in Britain was made following the 1966 sample census. A rather less rigorous check was made following the 1971 Census but, in 1981, a full post-enumeration census was conducted.

Stan
    And in 2011 we can assume addresses were selected for  well qualified  and careful officers to visit as a control and audit exercise.
Statistics  were prepared internally which indicated a percentage of success in coverage.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 April 16 21:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all of you. I'll probably never know why they are AWOL, and maybe doesn't matter TOO much as long as I have all the important details - who, when, where.
I've got a couple of other avenues to explore now.
Thank you once again
jj

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 April 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
As far as I  can recall, in 1971,  a specially selected and meticulous officer was given a list of addresses in each Borough and conducted an exercise with the aim of doing quality control.   Presumably, the two different results would be compared and contrasted.    Then a margin for error could be calculated.

The 1971 quality check was conducted by means of a post enumeration survey, covering the whole of Great Britain, by interviews at just under 5,000 addresses. The field work was not completed until about five months after cenus night. "Post Censal Surveys in Great Britain" by Robert Barnes

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 April 16 22:32 BST (UK) »
As far as I  can recall, in 1971,  a specially selected and meticulous officer was given a list of addresses in each Borough and conducted an exercise with the aim of doing quality control.   

The General Report on the 1971 Census said "it was carried out by census officers some of whom would still have been busy with other work on the census. Some census officers might have viewed the check as a fault finding mission and in consequence would not have been fully motivated to ensure its success"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 April 16 22:36 BST (UK) »
Typical Civil Service  "Umbrella" job.   To put it politely.   
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 April 16 22:59 BST (UK) »
As far as I  can recall, in 1971,  a specially selected and meticulous officer was given a list of addresses in each Borough and conducted an exercise with the aim of doing quality control.   

The General Report on the 1971 Census said "it was carried out by census officers some of whom would still have been busy with other work on the census. Some census officers might have viewed the check as a fault finding mission and in consequence would not have been fully motivated to ensure its success"

Stan
   As far as I can recall from my area,      most of the interviews would have been carried out by Local Government officers  getting paid a fee  for conducting the interviews.     I cannot recall  after all this time  who analysed the data.
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 April 16 23:34 BST (UK) »
Jesika, do you have any trace of ay of the family after 1911? Marriages, deaths etc?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 April 16 01:40 BST (UK) »
Good question Ruskie  ;)

Do you have them in 1901 & can you post details please with names of family members whether on 1901 census or not with dates/places of birth?

Although we can't do look-ups for 1911 census we can research anything else which may help  :P

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jesika jae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 April 16 08:53 BST (UK) »
Good morning to all who have responded over night. I certainly know more about census taking than I used to! I simply couldn't undestand why or how a family would decline to complete the census unless they supported the Suffragette movement and that seems unlikely.
I am incapable of making links, (blame my bus pass, I do), but the WWI & Leicestershire fora have more or less solved the "who was my granddad?" question, the awaited birth certificates should answer that question.
"James Kelly 1895/7 - 1927" & "Granddad's dad" in WWI.
An Australian researcher made the great break through when looking for his wife's gran, but we still couldn't find a birth date for granddad. So I tried to find his family in the 1911 census, only to find them totally absent, after being in Glass Houghton, Yorks in 1901. We know they moved a lot, in mining areas, Leicestershire, Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire again.
So many people have been so helpful, thank you is inadequate, but it's all I have
jj