Author Topic: The Street Coddenham  (Read 686 times)

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The Street Coddenham
« on: Monday 11 April 16 11:28 BST (UK) »
Would anyone have an old map of Coddenham Suffolk please.  My ancestors lived in " the Street" Coddenham.  I was lucky enough to visit Coddenham last week but couldnt find "The Street"  There was a High Street.  The census entries dont  have a number of the house.  The family I am researching is George and Susan Mayhew.  Born 1802 Coddenham.   I was wondering whether somebody could help me with this please? They lived in The Street from 1841 to 1882.

Does anyone know if the burials at Coddenham All Saints church have been transcribed please?

Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Street Coddenham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 April 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
I wonder if The Street is the same as the High Street?  In 1881 the Police Station is located on The Street and the police station is shown on this 1884 map  http://maps.nls.uk/view/114501331#zoom=4&lat=6334&lon=11915&layers=BT  This street is shown on google maps as the High Street

Kay

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Caron,

The Suffolk FHS have transcribed burials in Suffolk from the begining of the start of Parish registers to approx 1900 on CD. They also have transcribed Baptisms & Marriages on various CDs from 1754 - 1812 & 1813 - 1900 and can be purchased from;
https://suffolkfhs.co.uk/shop/

There are burials for Susan Mayhew  on 13-4-1871 (aged 78) also
George Mayhew  7-10-1882 (aged 81) both  in Coddenham St.Mary

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 10:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kay for finding this old map for me.  It doesn't actually have road names on it which is a shame.  I think that  "The Street" where my ancestors lived must be the high street.  My ancestor was an agricultural labourer and when we looked at the High Street last week I was surprised by the size of the properties, I somehow felt they lived in a very small cottage.  I wonder if I should look at one of the census entries and find a property on the Street that is still there, and then count along from that property to see where they might have lived. 

Thank you Alan for referring me to the records for burials.  Do you know if the memorial stones in the Coddenham church yards have been transcribed please?  I only found one Mayhew stone.  Some of the stones were pitted and were not legible.   Thank you
Mayhew of Coddenham,, Rogers of Southwark, Green of Leighton Buzzard. Greens of Islington.Challis of Southwark, Goddard Islington/Redgrave, Chamberlain of Kettering, Price of St Pancras, Selman of Middlesex. Dench of Littleport. Curtis southwark/Bristol

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 18:02 BST (UK) »
The Street would be the High Street, it is the main street through the village. Often have difficulty driving home through Coddenham due to traffic through The Street.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hfz/

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline caron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks SM. I just saw a link to the Coddenham face book page and there are lots of old photos of The Street which was just what I was looking for.  I saw on one census entry that they were living four properties away from the Crown Pub.  Not sure what side of the road it may be though.  The crown pub is no longer there I understand and the country club is where it stood.

I can image how it would have looked when my ancestors lived there.  They were there in the 1841 census to the 1881 census. 

Caron