Author Topic: Charles William King (1891-1964)  (Read 984 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Charles William King (1891-1964)
« on: Monday 11 April 16 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I'm giving some family history assistance to the grandson of Charles William King who was born in Enderby, Leicestershire, son of Joseph Whetton and Leah Dobson and passed away in 1964 in Leicester.  In 1915 he married Elizabeth Ann Gamble in Blaby, Leicestershire.

It's believed that he may have served with the Border Regiment - his cap badge is of that regiment -  and he was certainly on active duty in the Gallipoli Campaign.

His army records will (hopefully) be available somewhere online ... but where?

Can anyone help?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles William King (1891-1964)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 09:32 BST (UK) »
No one of the full name served in the Border Regiment. There are about six who served in other regiments. There are medal cards for five Charles Kings who served with the Border Regiment.

I cannot find a matching record on Ancestry. Clutching at straws: have you got the marriage certificate? It should give regimental details if he was serving at the time; or check the electoral roll if you have an address; or check for a notice in the local newspaper when he died. The family often included details to any army service to inform his old comrades.

Ken

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

Thanks for your response.  I'll e-mail your questions to my pal and see if he can help although his knowledge of this - his maternal - grandfather is rather vague.  He has given me the attached photograph this morning and it would seem to confirm, on magnified inspection, that the cap badge is that of the Border Regiment.  He also seems to be wearing spurs!

Either in, or returning from, Gallipoli, Charles contracted malaria and was disembarked at Gibraltar as it was considered he would not survive the remainder of the voyage to the UK

I'd trawled Ancestry for his records as well, but to no avail.  I'll ask about the marriage record and try to convince him to buy it.  However, if it's like our Scottish ones, it may just give his rank and not a mention of the regiment.  Watch this space!

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 12:35 BST (UK) »
I do not see the Maltese cross of the Borders. The spurs and bandolier suggests a mounted corps such as the Army Service Corps. Others will be along shortly to confirm or come up with other units.

The tunic is an economy (no pocket pleats) version of 1915/16. So matches the wedding date you have.

Ken

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 12:40 BST (UK) »
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
There appears to be several men by that name on Ancestry in the ASC, one being a driver.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 13:19 BST (UK) »
I do not see the Maltese cross of the Borders. The spurs and bandolier suggests a mounted corps such as the Army Service Corps. Others will be along shortly to confirm or come up with other units.
The tunic is an economy (no pocket pleats) version of 1915/16. So matches the wedding date you have.
Ken

Hi again Ken

Thanks for the update. I agree that the cap badge is as you suggest. It certainly doesn't have a 'Maltese cross' profile.

I now know he married on the 25th of May 1915 at the Congregational Church, Enderby, Blaby, Leicestershire, so it may be possible to get something helpful from the press but there was a skeleton (with a shotgun) in the cupboard :o   He was born on the 30th of June 1891 and died on the 2nd of June 1964 - I've just got the Probate detail for him off Ancestry.  I'm pushing to see if my pal has a service number for his grandad - maybe from his medals.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, if he has his medals then he will definitely have his service number.

Frank.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 13:25 BST (UK) »
There appears to be several men by that name on Ancestry in the ASC, one being a driver.
Frank

Hi Frank

Thanks for your responses too!  I've already asked about his medals - knowing his service number would be engraved on the rim - and am just waiting to hear.

Chiad Fhear