Author Topic: Re: Marriage of Thomas Connor b1860 and Mary Isabel ?? B1863  (Read 2260 times)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Thomas Connor b1860 and Mary Isabel ?? B1863
« on: Monday 11 April 16 22:24 BST (UK) »
In the 1881 census  there is a Thomas Connor and his wife Mary Isabel and their two children: Richard 2 and Margaret Ann 2 mths. I can find no marriage and therefore do not know Mary Isabel's maiden name. Thomas was born in Shadforth and Mary Isabel in Crook. Oddly, Richard was born in Wakefield. Thomas is my great grand uncle. I also cannot find any other details of this family in any later census. Any help would be much appreciated.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 00:03 BST (UK) »
If you search the 1871 for a Mary isab** born Crook 1863+- 1yr - one of the results is surname Moore

Freebmd has a Thomas Connor marriage in Durham 1880 and one of the females is Isabella Moore
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hi in 1891 could Thomas Connor be aged 31 Married/Lodger with a John Connor & family at Jackson Street, Whitworth?
Census Ref RG12/4072/148/23
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 02:36 BST (UK) »
If you search the 1871 for a Mary isab** born Crook 1863+- 1yr - one of the results is surname Moore

Freebmd has a Thomas Connor marriage in Durham 1880 and one of the females is Isabella Moore

Hi again, I think you will find that Richard was registered as Richard Smith Moore June qtr 1879 Wakefield 9c 49

The  1891 census John Connor aged 40 with wife Isabella and daughter Mary Jane 8 b Wheatley Hill, maybe billbir can confirm is the brother of Thomas, as tracking back it would appear so, Mary Jane Connor 18 b Wheatley Hill in 1901 is with a Jane Brown 76 Widow b Shiney Row and son James 50 b Elemore shown as Grandaughter at 6, Wylam Street, Craghead, Lanchester
Census Ref RG13/4674/10/12 Mary Jane marries a Frederick Davenport Mather in 1907 Lanchester, and unfortunately dies June qtr 1910 Lanchester 10a 185 aged 28
Keyboard86

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole/ Keyboard

Thank you for your excellent help. Thomas was the younger brother of John. I think what has confused me , is that the wife was "Mary Isabella" on the 1881 census, so I expected to see that name, not just Isabella.

The Jane Brown referred to by Keyboard, is the mother in law of John Connor, who was married to the daughter, Isabella. So Mary Jane Connor, was staying with her grandmother and uncle James, in 1901.

Keyboard, you have given me a bit of a bombshell, as you say 'I think you will find that Richard was registered as Richard Smith Moore June qtr 1879 Wakefield 9c 49' Why Wakefield? I guess as she was so young and the pregnancy was out of marriage, they wanted her out of the way. Then in 1880, Thomas does the right thing and marries her. I guess that he was the father, as he would not have married someone so young, who had someone else's child, but you cannot be sure, without DNA. It is a coincidence that both John and Thomas married girls of about 16.

I have got Mary Jane Connor marrying Frederick Davenport Mather, so that checks.

Thanks to both of you, for your very considerable assistance. It is much appreciated.

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole/Keyboard,

Just thought that I would let you know, that Richard was registered in Wakefield, as that was where Isabella's father, Christopher Robert Moore and her stepmother? Thomasine lived according to the 1881 census.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi their must be some significance in the middle name of Smith, normally a way of indicating the surname of the father, possibly?
Keyboard86

Just where did John Connor marry Isabella Brown?

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi keyboard,

I hope that your theory is wrong, as it then starts to affect the Connor bloodline, as it would actually be Smith. In my experience, it is often the maiden name of say the grandmother, who wants her name to carry on. I will have to delve a little more.
 You say, 'Just where did John Connor marry Isabella Brown?'

This is what I gleaned:-
Marriage- England & Wales, Free BMD Marriage Index 1837-1915
Name:
John Connor
Registration Year:
Registration Quarter:
Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration district:
Auckland
Parishes for this Registration District:
View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County:
Durham
Volume:
10a
Page:
Records on Page:
Name
Isabella Brown
John Connor
Jane Seymour
James Walton

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again, so as to keep things tidy, Christopher Robert Moore married Thomasine Willoway September qtr 1872 Durham 10a 437

It is correct that a well loved Granny can indeed be the reason for an "Odd" middle name, but I have got to admit on the times the wonderful fellow RC's have offered advice, the possible father of the child seems to be to the fore?
Keyboard86

EDIT you should have known this, in the 1871 census for Christopher Robert Moore is a Richard SMITH Moore b 1871!
RG10/4958/27/53

And also the Richard Smith Moore b June qtr 1879 Wakefield 9c 49