Author Topic: 1859 Red Jacket passenger list/s Ex Uk for Melbourne  (Read 3882 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
1859 Red Jacket passenger list/s Ex Uk for Melbourne
« on: Tuesday 12 April 16 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hello from NZ

Not familiar with Au research, but keen to know if any passenger lists survive for arrivals to Melbourne in 1859 from the UK via the Red Jacket. Found a lot of advertising, but no lists on TROVE. Do have an August 1859 Tasmanian clip, that refers to arrival from England on the Red Jacket so seeking more info, if it is out there.

Subject Robert SHARP, Musician/Organist. Acknowledged by the then resident Launceston organist, as a "name sake" and not as a family member, but as they were competing for pupils and prestige from neighbouring Churches, there may have been family rivalry. Father and son verses "the other SHARP".

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1859 Red Jacket passenger list/s Ex Uk for Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 01:22 BST (UK) »
Link to complete RED JACKET passenger list at the Public Record Office of Victoria
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hft/

As he was an unassisted immigrant there will be scant info other than his nationality and occasionally an occupation.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 01:36 BST (UK) »
Red Jacket passengers to Launceston transferred to Black Swan. Only 4 fare paying passengers on Red Jacket.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 03:21 BST (UK) »
According to the Unassisted Immigrants Index at PROV and an image of the manifest all the passengers on the RED JACKET were unassisted.

From another resource
Robert SHARPE was 18 years of age, a farmer and English.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article5685071
The Argus 25 Jul 1859
Red Jacket, White Star ship, 1,000 tons, Richard Kirby, from Liverpool May 3.
Passengers saloon : Mr. and Mrs. Gassemorgat, Mr. and Mrs. Atchison and family, Mrs. Thynne, Mrs. Stephenson, Miss Helen Rose, Miss S. Thompson, Miss J. Ross, Miss H. Clements, Misses Stephenson (2), Mrs. Hawthorne and family, Messrs. Kirk, Potter, Allen, Bentley, Bizet; and 303 in the intermediate and steerage.
John Willcox, Esq., Surgeon.
Lorimer, Mackie, and Co., agents.

Cando

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 04:48 BST (UK) »
Launceston Examiner 5 July 1859

We understand that Mr. Robert Sharpe, a gentleman of high professional attainments and testimonials, and a very successful teacher at home, is expected to arrive from England in a few days. It is his intention, if possible, to locate himself here, when he will be prepared to give instructions on the organ, harmonium, pianoforte, and singing, and to meet other musical engagements. He is a brother to Mr. T. H. Sharpe, Cameron street, lately in this office.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/38996536

Debra  :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 05:08 BST (UK) »
Obviously not the Robert SHARPE as on the RED JACKET

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 05:15 BST (UK) »
HOWEVER......the information on the manifest is obviously WRONG.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article38996802

The Launceston Examiner...

Musical.- The lovers of music will be glad to hear of the arrival of another professor of this delightful art. Mr. Robert Sharpe, who lately arrived from England in the Red Jacket, came over in the Black Swan and we hear intends to reside amongst us.

Cando

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 06:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.

I thought there were too many coincidents for such an out of the way destination.

In the Daily Telegraph January 22, 1903 an article recording Mr Wm Thomas SHARP looking back to his time as an Organist at Launceston 1855 - 1875 was quoted as saying  ..........

The erection of the Mechanics' Institute provided us with a fine hall, and in it, subsequently, was placed the organ which now stands in the Albert Hall. The instrument was hardly a success at first, but it has since been altered and greatly improved. Mr Robert Sharpe, a namesake of mine, and organist at Trinity Church when I was at St. John's, was organist of the Mechanics', but, he leaving for England, I subsequently occupied the position until my removal from Launceston to Sydney in 1875 ..... end of quote.

The two Launceston examiner clips I already had were noting the arrival of one Robert SHARPE who was credited as arriving on the Red Jacket ex the UK and the Black Swan ex Melbourne. Formerly All Saints Church, Hampshire.

August 2nd, 1859 pages 2 & 3. Then again on October 8, 1859 page 2 noting the arrival of a parcel of music for one Robert SHARPE.

That being the case there was presumably some rivalry between the brothers Robert and William Thomas as, Church Organists, teachers of music and many musical instruments, singing teachers and Choir Masters, plus active with a number of bands.  Edit: Op's skip reading again the initials given in print for the Brother were T. H SHARPE and not my assumption W. T. SHARP.

A large number of their concerts, recitals, and fund raisers for improving the community amenities, and Church and Sunday School facilities were reported upon in the Launceston Examiner until reportedly, Robert returned to the UK and W. T. SHARP Jnr., did a stint in NZ via Sydney.

It was while doing research on a pioneer in Napier that I first got side tracked looking into Bankruptcy of W T. SHARP, Organist at the Napier Cathedral.  CANDO was able to point out that I jumped to the wrong conclusion assuming that an Australian Wm Thomas SHARP would most likely tie in to the Melbourne SHARP family of West Auckland and Coromandel KAURI TIMBER COMPANY fame which I had delved into on a previous occasion.

Afraid being interested in our early pioneers I easily get side tracked. Renewed interest here when an Australian contacted me because of my earlier post, and started asking after our research findings.

Thanks for your input.  More will possibly be learnt when another member of the family, Captain Arthur SHARP'S letters to his sister are supplied by the Victorian National Library. Captaining a ship for the French in the Crimean War, could produce some insightful first hand accounts of that campaign as well. Another side track.

P.S. Have also found Ticket Of Leave for both a William and a Robert SHARP/E in the 1850's plus a Robert SHARP Butcher in Tasmania, so there are some double ups that may, or may not be the same person. Only found one Launceston electoral roll on line and it pre-dates Robert's arrival.

- Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 06:31 BST (UK) »
Link to previous thread mentioned.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=736749.0

- Alan in NZ.