Author Topic: 1859 Red Jacket passenger list/s Ex Uk for Melbourne  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: 1859 Red Jacket passenger list/s Ex Uk for Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 11:13 BST (UK) »
Launceston Examiner 5 July 1859

Edit .......... He is a brother to Mr. T. H. Sharpe, Cameron street, lately in this office.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/38996536

Debra  :)

Just gone back to this TROVE clip and see that it is printed T. H. SHARPE of Cameron Street.

Initially thought it would read T W SHARPE [electronic text recognition]. The other SHARP's in Launceston were always spelt without the E. Most other references were for Wm SHARP or variations of W T SHARP or T SHARP for the Stationer's on Charles Street. Residence possibly Paterson Street.  1850's.

I think a lot more research is required.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: 1859 Red Jacket passenger list/s Ex Uk for Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 April 16 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

This research is on going for a lady who is unwell at this time.

I now have a very large number of newspaper clipping references from the Australian TROVE and the UK GALE sites which record the activities of the two subjects above. Especially adverts about their vocation; editorial copy about their charity and religious performances; plus respective family matters. There is also the previous NZ research on organist son W. T. SHARP who was for a time at Napier and then Auckland NZ.

Thomas SHARP; St John's organist 1850's - 1870's Launceston

Robert SHARPE [ex Denby UK]; Trinity Church Organist Launceston 1860's.

Any one researching these separate families are welcome to contact me re a weeks work on news paper research. Not helped by o'clock sharp OR flour / bran sharp's in classified adds. Giving hundreds of results to wade through.

The Captain Arthur SHARPE letters to his sister in Australia, are expected in a few days from the Victoria State Library and they hopefully will shed more light on the Thomas SHARP family.

- Alan
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.