Author Topic: JOHN NICOL perth help finding parents  (Read 12817 times)

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN NICOL perth help finding parents
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 14 April 16 14:03 BST (UK) »
Ah it had no idea that you could even look at wills on SP, that's interesting. Who do you think is the best person to start with regarding Wills? John himself?

Molly

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 14 April 16 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Molly,
     I don't know if Jane Clark's Death Certificate will give you any new information about her father John Nicol. I posted the 1861 & 1881 Census to show that, through the addresses and children's names, they are the same family as the 1871 Census where the family surname had not been transcribed. Also to show that the 1881 address for Jane matched the address on Ann Nicol's Death Certificate, 13 Barossa Street. It was just to clarify it was the right Ann Nicol on 1871 Census.
     Might be worth finding out if anyone else is buried in the same lair/plot as John Nicol. If you found John's burial details on the Perth burgh burial register, 1794-1855 website, then there should be a contact number or e-mail address on the same website. Worth a try.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 14 April 16 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Dod,
Im going to try and phone them tomorrow on my break to see if I can find out if anybody else is buried in Johns plot.

Does anybody know if there was any other Nicols living at 178 South street perth on any the census? That's the address given for Jane Nicol on her marriage cert to George Clark

Molly

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 15 April 16 10:18 BST (UK) »
Also I think that maybe ROBERT NICOL the CLERK was possibly the son of ROBERT NICOL the SHIP MASTER

molly

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 17 April 16 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody, I phoned the crematorium in Perth on Friday and I takes up to ten days for them to get back to you with information, and that's if they even have any because apparently the records are really old and not all are available. I'll post any info once I get it, so I hope this post has helped other people too :)

If I wanted to ask about DONALD and WAINWOOD MCDONALD, should I create another post or carry it on with this one as they are a connected family? :)

Molly

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody,

I received my reply from TES burials today, they deal with the Greyfriars Kirkyard in Perth. Unfortunately they've said that there isn't any recorded documents saying that John Nicol is buried there. Apparently this doesn't mean that he WASNT buried there, just that there's no surviving document :( I thought as much. All I seem to do is hit brick walls :(

Thank you all

Molly

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody,

All I seem to do is hit brick walls :(

Molly
Hello Molly,
have you tried accessing any of his siblings' wills  on Scotland's People website?? Wills  may give some insights to siblings or nieces or nephews of John Nicol, grocer from South St Perth.

I believe that the Robert Nicol, shipowner, born Arngask, Perthshire (now known as Arngask, Fife) who died in Perth at York Place  in 1865,   and the James Nicol, grocer, born 1785, Dron, Perthshire died of typhus, 1848, Perth city, Perth, were two of your John Nicol's siblings.

You could also try to find a way back by checking out John's other siblings - they may have left  source material that would verify that John Nicol, grocer from Perth was a sibling:

William Nicol, Dron, Perthshire and and Magdaline Moncreiff, Fortrose, Perthshire married  29 December 1783, Dron Perthshire Scotland. I believe you have previously posted a query about this couple's ancestry? DonM seems to have given a definitive answer  - that Magdalene was the daughter of Mathew of Culfargie which is NW of the town of Abernethy, where Magdaline was born..

Their children included:

James Nicol, bapt 27 May 1785,Dron, Perthhsire . Grocer in High Street, Perth. Died age 64  of typhus, 10 Mar 1848, Perth. Buried at Greyfriars, Perth

John Nicol bapt   6 MAY 1787 • Dron Perthshire Scotland. Grocer at 178 South Street  Perth. Died 1849, Perth. Buried at Greyfriars, Perth

Margaret Nicol, bapt 9 Jul 1789, Arngask, Perthshire, Scotland

Robert Nicol born 27 Nov 1791, Arngask, Perthshire, Scotland (Arngask is now considered to be in Fife) Death 1865 • 10 York Place Perth, Perthshire Scotland
  m 1: Christian Will (1794-1823)  2:Margaret McEwan  (1798-1872)
Wills on SP:
NICOL ROBERT 27/04/1865 SHIPOWNER IN PERTH, RESIDING AT YORK PLACE THERE   PERTH SHERIFF COURT SC49/31/79
NICOL MARGARET 17/08/1872 ALIAS MCEWAN, WIDOW OF ROBERT NICOL, RESIDING AT YORK PLACE IN PERTH   PERTH SHERIFF COURT SC49/31/94

William Nicol bapt 19 Jan 1794 Arngask, Perthshire.

Alexander Nicol bapt 29 Nov 1795 Arngask, Perthshire

David Nicol, bapt 11 Feb 1798, Arngask, Perthshire

If you can research the siblings of your John Nicol, you may find on their death records, (if after 1855),  information about their parents. Obviously the father will be William Nicol, but the mother will also be named - they will be proven siblings of John Nicol and James Nicol  from Dron,  Perthshire if the Nicols born in Arngask have the parents  William Nicol and Magdaline Moncrieff.

DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 13:15 BST (UK) »
I don't know of any of Johns siblings for sure though. Yes, I asked about William Nicol and Magdaline Moncrieff but I'm not sure that they are actually my Johns parents. I've found nothing to back this up.

I haven't checked the wills on scotlandspeople as of yet, would I search for Johns kids? I'm not really sure where to start regarding that

Thank you

Molly

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Molly,
I headed up to the Perth Library today and checked out the pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions for North Perthshire (Greyfriars) and all I found were a couple of inscriptions.

no.124 Block A. Robert Nicol, shipowner, 19.1.1865, 74 years, wife Margaret McEwan 4.4.1872, 74.
son Duncan lost at sea .11.1841, 18 years. Robert 20.2.1848, 12 years, another son infant.

no.26 Block F (small flat stone) lair 220. by John Nicol & wife Ann McDonald, children John 30.11.1822, 5 months, Robert 23.10.1836, 21 months. Margaret 3.10.1840, 25 years, Winwood 1.1.1841, 14 years.
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.