Author Topic: Coleraine Abbey Street  (Read 1707 times)

Offline 4rusty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coleraine Abbey Street
« on: Tuesday 12 April 16 20:51 BST (UK) »
Looking for two brothers by name of Jackson, Tommy and John(ny). Owned a shop on Abbey Street any information would be appreciated. 1930 - 1939

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Coleraine Abbey Street
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 21:08 BST (UK) »
4rusty

I have checked "Street Directories for the town of Coleraine, County Londonderry 1820 - 1967 and found the following:- 1. John Jackson, Preaching House Lane - carpenter & builder - 1839; 2. John Jackson same address shown as architect & builder - 1846; 3. Jackson New Row Upper - stone mason - 1846; 4. J.Jackson - New Row West - tailor - 1864, 1870 and 1894; 5. Jackson & Sons (John) - Hanover Place - Tailor - 1905; 6. William Jackson - Hanover Place - tailor - 1911; 7. J.R.Jackson - New Row- Vet - 1921; 8. William Jackson - Hanover Place - Tailor 1921; 9. J.R.Jackson - Portstewart Road - Vet - 1932 & 1952.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 22:18 BST (UK) »
Preaching House Lane now Queen St., other streets still the same.

I can't see any Jackson listed in the Valuation Revision B ook for 1913-1931 (last one available) but perhaps they were there a bit later.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/searching-valuation-revision-books

Do you know what sort of shop/business they had?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline 4rusty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 April 16 12:11 BST (UK) »
Brown1777

Many thanks for the information. They advertised in The Coleraine Chronicle 1935 onwards as T. Jackson later on as Jackson's. The shop sold furniture, bedding etc; and carried out upholstery repairs. Perhaps the shop was rented.
 The shop was closed in 1939 as both were in The Territorial Army or Supplementary Reserve
and called up for WW2.

Their father was killed in WW1 and were brought up by Richard Scott who worked for Crawford & Co. as an upholsterer. Is there any link to Abbey Street for Crawford & Co?

Offline 4rusty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 April 16 12:16 BST (UK) »
aghadowey,

Many thanks for information. The business was in furnishings and upholstery. They advertised in The Coleraine Chronicle from 1935 - 1939.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 April 16 16:18 BST (UK) »
Have found a list of shops in Abbey Street in 1920s- no Crawfords listed

Richard Scott-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Bushmills_Road/589340
looks like he died 1936-
Scott Richard Allison of Waverley Terrace Coleraine county Londonderry upholsterer died 27 May 1936 Administration Belfast 15 September to Eliza Ann Scott the widow. Effects £599 17s. 9d.
wife Eliza Ann died 1941-
Scott Eliza Ann of Waverley Terrace Coleraine county Londonderry widow died 30 September 1941 Administration Belfast 3 November to John McCurdy retired carter. Effects £493 11s. 2d.
http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/willsSearchResultsDetails.aspx

Their father was killed in WW1 and were brought up by Richard Scott who worked for Crawford & Co. as an upholsterer.
Are you sure the father died in the war? I can't find any Crawford killed WWI from Coleraine. Or did they originally live elsewhere?

Offline 4rusty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 May 16 16:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.

The boys were brought over from Scotland after their father Thomas Jackson was killed 22-10-1914 to be brought up (not sure when) by Richard Scott and his wife, their uncle and aunt.

My main interest was to track down where this shop was and the number in Abbey Street.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 May 16 18:38 BST (UK) »
There was a Crawford & Co. in The Diamond (hardware merchants in 1952 then hardware & furniture merchants in 1967). Have a few more resources in the house to check but I don't have as much in the 1930s.