Author Topic: Elizabeth PRICE - Convict Birmingham to New South Wales  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Elizabeth PRICE - Convict Birmingham to New South Wales
« on: Wednesday 13 April 16 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for any information on Elizabeth PRICE who came to Australia as a Convict on the Surrey in 1840. She married Thomas Page in 1844 and when pardoned they had the License during the mid 1850's to mid 1860's of The Steam Engine Inn. I am trying to find her birth family in either Birmingham or Wales. There is no information on the Convict records other than native of Birmingham. She is the sister of my Great Great Grandmother Eliza Foulkes (note the different maiden names). Her birth date listed as 1820 and she died 1899. Eliza Foulkes (Elizabeth's sister) married Edward Land in Birmingham in 1835 and this family immigrated to New South Wales in 1858 and mentioned in the Ships Manife3st that Elizabeth (Eliza) Page was sister of Eliza Land ne Foulkes under the heading of Relations in the Colony.
Any help/ideas much appreciated/
Thank you
Siousann
Annett : Bain : Land : North : Johnstone :

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth PRICE - Convict Birmingham to New South Wales
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Siouxann,
   Just posting a link to previous request to avoid duplication http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=687395.0

regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros and thanks
Would it be better to just add this to the bottom of the old Post, haven't been on for sometime, and am sure now Elizabeth is not from the LAND family.
Thanks for your help

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 05:32 BST (UK) »
No I think here is fine now that we have a link to old post and you have now made clear that Elizabeth is not from the LAND family.
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 05:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ros

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Siouxann,

You have looked at her Convict records does it show where she was on trial in England or Wales? Her Trial records may hold more information on her beginnings.
MODIFIED
QUOTE "Her birth date listed as 1820 and she died 1899." Where did she die it is not on the NSW Index. ???
Do you have her birth parent names?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 06:59 BST (UK) »
NSW Death Index: Elizabeth PAGE 236/1899 aged 79 died Sydney

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil
Elizabeth's Trial was at the Warwick, Birmingham Quarter Sessions, Jan/Feb 1840 for Burglary, 7 years. I have not been able to find her Trial Records, new to that particular type of Research. Convict Records say Native of Birmingham, and she was a plain cook/housemaid at the time.

Elizabeth nee Price ( Page ) died at her home in Albion Street, Sydney and was buried at St Judes. She was Elizabeth Page when she died on 16 February 1899.

I don't have her birth parents names, but have confirmation via her Will and Ships Manifest for Edward Land and family, that she was the sister of my Great Great Grandmother Eliza nee FOULKES who married Edward Land at Birmingham in 1935 and immigrated to Australia 1858.

Eliza's parents were Margaret nee Humphreys who married John Foulkes, Montgomeryshire, Wales. Hence the problems trying to find her parents, perhaps changing her name at some stage or different father??? John Foulkes father was Pryce Foulkes ??
Thanks Sue

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 07:33 BST (UK) »
Beautiful church, St Jude's (I was baptised, confirmed and married there!).

I think you're on the right track when you say her father was probably not John Foulkes, do you know what happened to Margaret and the family after John died? Eliza could have used PRICE as an alias, but that will be harder to confirm I guess.  ???