Author Topic: Look up Request for parents of Elizabeth Jones bapt 1.1.1809 - Llanfrechfra.  (Read 2115 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request for parents of Elizabeth Jones bapt 1.1.1809 - Llanfrechfra.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again the transcript for James in 1841 is incorrect, as this is his baptism :-

James Jones Smith 3rd August 1834 Middleton-in Teesdale Father George Mother Elizabeth

Thomas Watson Smith 24th April 1841 St Helen, Auckland Father George Mother Elizabeth
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request for parents of Elizabeth Jones bapt 1.1.1809 - Llanfrechfra.
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 23:10 BST (UK) »
I think that must be the family.  In 1851 the place of birth for John is Annyoy - Cwmyoy possibly and for Elizabeth Pontnewydd - Pontnewynydd probably.

The census has James Jones Smith on the scan and George senior is also born in county.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 23:13 BST (UK) »
meant to say I can't see baptisms in Monmouthshire for any of the children born there.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 April 16 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi keyboard86

Yes this is the same family I have just been looking to find a copy of this census image, to add to this family.  I wondered if you could help me find a site that would have it.  I have just looked on familysearch and can't see it, would welcome any help from you.  Thanks for finding the 1841 census, good find.

Thanks again
Elizlloyd

Hi is this the same family in 1841?

George Smith 35
Elizabeth 30
John 14
George 12
Martha 10
Mary 10
James James Smith 7 b In County
William 5 b In County
Alice 2 b In County
Thomas Watson Smith 0 b in County
Residing Evenwood, Durham
Census ref HO107/307 / 5/15 / 5
Keyboard86
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 April 16 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi as I located it on a site associated with Familysearch try a James JANES Smith 1834 Durham in St Andrew, Auckland
Keyboard86

PS the original is on the site I located it!
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 April 16 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi osprey

Thank you for finding this 1851 Census and yes it looks like the right family, and about the marriage my relative has just got back to me who originally told me about Elizabeth Jones, and thinks her mother's maiden name was Martha Evans but not a 100% sure.. so would welcome any help with this.  The marriage noted below does look as if this couple could be Elizabeth Jones's parents marriage information. Are you able to find out further information on Martha's family and her family background from Trevethin.  This would be really good to know. I will check out further censuses with James and Martha and their family in it.  Thank you very much for finding this 1851 census.  I am also keen to know what happened to John Jones, their son and Elizabeth Jones brother. 

Thanks again
Elizlloyd

possible for Elizabeth's parents

1851 Albion Road, Trevethin HO107/2449 folio 109 pg 7
James Jones head mar 74 sawyer b. Herefordshire, Tiberton
Martha wife 66 b. Trevethin
John son 24 coal miner b. Trevethin
James Harrison lodger 54 labourer b. Glos, Little Sodbury
Elizabeth Cashmore 17 house servant b. Glam, Llantwit
Abraham Payne lodger 22 mason b. Devon, Tiverton
Margaret Payne lodger's wife 23 b. Tiverton
Rhoda Payne lodger's daughter 9 months b. Trevethin

Possible marriage in Trevethin 26 Aug 1804 of James Jones of Llangattock juxta Lantarnam & Martha Watters otp.

Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 April 16 17:39 BST (UK) »
I've had a hunt around for John Jones, it's not an uncommon name, to say the least, and I can't identify one for sure as the son of James & Martha. If that is the correct family, you'd expect there to be more children in between, but no obvious baptisms. Parish records for the area have coverage on FreeReg & DustyDocs.

I did find a possible burial for Martha

Martha Jones 80 buried in the parish church of Llanfihangel Pontymoel 5 April 1863, abode Albion Terrace, Pontypool.

There's also a possible older sister for Elizabeth, Sarah bp 25 Jan 1807 in Panteg. There had been another daughter to the couple also called Sarah bp 9 Jan 1806, but no obvious burial.

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 April 16 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi osprey,

Thanks for finding this information  :-   

It would be good if this was my Martha's burial record,  thanks for finding Elizabeth's siister Sarah's baptism, 1807 and also a Sarah in 1806.  I will have a look and see if I can find anything on John Jones, and did wonder if James and Martha had any other children..as the family in the 1851 census living in the Trevethin area maybe the family lived in surrounding villages prior to this and might have had children baptised in other areas.. maybe.. 

Thanks for your help

Elizlloyd

I've had a hunt around for John Jones, it's not an uncommon name, to say the least, and I can't identify one for sure as the son of James & Martha. If that is the correct family, you'd expect there to be more children in between, but no obvious baptisms. Parish records for the area have coverage on FreeReg & DustyDocs.

I did find a possible burial for Martha

Martha Jones 80 buried in the parish church of Llanfihangel Pontymoel 5 April 1863, abode Albion Terrace, Pontypool.

There's also a possible older sister for Elizabeth, Sarah bp 25 Jan 1807 in Panteg. There had been another daughter to the couple also called Sarah bp 9 Jan 1806, but no obvious burial.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 April 16 18:53 BST (UK) »
I was checking the parishes in the Pontypool area for other children rather than just searching one parish. Also, using FreeReg allows you to search nearby parishes 

http://www.dustydocs.com/linkSpecial/197/143724/parish-map.html

It could be that the James & Martha in 1841 are a coincidence. With no occupation given on Elizabeth's baptism, and her marriage before civil registration, there's nothing to check against apart from age & place of birth.