Author Topic: Marks Family  (Read 4976 times)

Offline TomCleary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marks Family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 January 21 22:13 GMT (UK) »
If this page and readers is still active I can supply much information on Offaly/Birr Marks as my great-grandmother was the Annie Marks mentioned married to Michael Cleary.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 January 21 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Tom  :)

If this page and readers is still active I can supply much information on Offaly/Birr Marks as my great-grandmother was the Annie Marks mentioned married to Michael Cleary.

Whatever you can add, will be of benefit to the thread. Remember that RootsChat has a no living persons policy, so don't post names of any living people.

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline TomCleary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 January 21 19:04 GMT (UK) »
There is now an updated (2020) headstone for James and Bridget Marks (1820 - 1900s) and three of their daughters - Agnes Mary, Annie and Bridget. Agnes Mary married Capt George Garrett, (buried in Drogheda), Annie is my Great-grandmother and Bridget married Joseph Bowes. There were no surviving male issue/descendants of James and Bridget that we know of. Until mid 2020 we did not realise that Agnes Mary Marks and Mary Walshe (daughter of Annie Cleary) were buried in this grave. New text replaced all the old text in 2020.

Offline audrey69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 September 22 05:23 BST (UK) »
Tom,
I'd be most interested to hear from you as I suspect my Waterford Marks' are somehow linked to the Birr ones.

Andrea

Offline TomCleary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 September 22 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Audrey,
I'd be delighted to explore any links. Basically there were lots of Marks families in Birr in the 1821 Census (NationalArchives). There sees to be two branches - our branch were all butchers and other descendants were in the Military. I haven't been able to trace any direct Marks descendants living from our line (lots of cousins from maternal lines) but there are Marks families _ James - living near Roscrea. I'm in touch with him from time to time. His father Paddy and grandfather were military. Paddy Marks wife was a Jane Price. If this sounds promising we can arrange direct email contact.

Offline audrey69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 04:13 BST (UK) »
I have sent a private message with my email address Tom.

thanks so much for replying.

Cheers
Andrea

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 09:22 BST (UK) »

...and three of their daughters - Agnes Mary, Annie and Bridget. Agnes Mary married Capt George Garrett, (buried in Drogheda), Annie is my Great-grandmother and Bridget married Joseph Bowes.

Agnes Mary Marks married George Garrett on 25 February 1884 at St Brendon's Parish Church, Birr. George a sergeant in the 109th regiment and based at Birr barracks. Agnes' father James a butcher.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1884/10893/5979004.pdf

Bridget Marks married Joseph Bowes on 30 April 1888 at Birr RC Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10768/5927511.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline TomCleary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 22:30 BST (UK) »
Just a note to "My luck" contributor. The Michael Cleary married to Annie Marks were my Great-grandparents and their son Michael was my grandfather. Agnes Mary Marks and Annie were sisters and their father was James, their mother Bridget Garrett.... not related to the George Garrett who married Agnes Mary (Molly)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 October 22 19:27 GMT (UK) »

Basically there were lots of Marks families in Birr in the 1821 Census (NationalArchives).

1821 census - Marks - King's county - 96 entries
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01rwf/