Author Topic: MacDonalds of Waikato N.Island  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MacDonalds of Waikato N.Island
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 April 16 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi winterose

I had a look yesterday when your query was first posted here.    I found via NZ electoral rolls, what I believe to be the parents of Norman John, who were for a time residing at Ngaruawahia.    The "son" seemingly moved away to another district.

I haven't found a death in New Zealand for "Norman John" - so we must abide by the rules of this forum, and not publish information here about potentially "still-living"  persons.

If you're wanting info regarding the parents of this man (now both deceased), then can add this here.

~  Lu

Offline winterose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 April 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
Dear Lucy,
Thanks very much for our reply. We do know that Norman's parents were living in Ngaruawahia in 1959/60 as he mentioned his mother and gave us the address there as his own. He was with us on the ship Strathnaver in April 1959 and worked in the UK. We found a person with both those names and surname too  in the electoral rolls of 1978 in Okato , Taranaki and wondered if he returned to NZ? We are both rather housebound, unable to get around to visit and Peter rather frail and time is of the essence so would love to hear from our old friends and do not know to get in contact?

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 April 16 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hello winterose

Was just about to "clock off" here for the day and spotted your message.  ;)

Yes, the same man appears to have also been residing at Okato, Taranaki for a time.
I am happy to send further info to you in a private message on here ... and will do so in the morning (NZ-time).

~   Lu

PS:  Yes, can see the records for the "Strathnaver" voyage.

Offline winterose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 April 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
Dear Lucy,

Thanks ever so for your kindness we are so grateful as we do need a little cheering up in these difficult times.

Offline winterose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 May 16 16:55 BST (UK) »
Dear Lucy,
Was not able to look up NZ electoral rolls after 1981 but thanks ever so  for troubling to look them up as you did find the last address where our friend had been on the rolls altho he had moved. Meanwhile I did contact an NZ genealogist who put an ad. in a local newspaper which was seen by his friend and so we have found him after 56 years. There were, for some reason, several with the same name but we had two first names and an address which was shown in the electoral rolls with profession and were able  to trace from there. I understand these rolls are no longer to be put on Internet etc  in NZ which will be make  it almost impossible for researchers to find their ancestors. The English ones of the 1800's  made it possible to 'cross reference' as they stated whether people living in certain parishes had been born there, with the statement 'not of this parish'.